Jun 8, 2011, 9:40 AM EDT
Posada doesn’t have two more seasons beyond this one on his contract, with a player option for a third. He has only until the All-Star break, give or take a couple of weeks, to prove he can be a productive member of a winning Yankees team. If he fails in that pursuit, his distinguished career in pinstripes will end. The Yankees would never release Posada before his best friend’s milestone achievement, likely arriving by the end of next week.
That wasn’t a “might,” that was a “will,” suggesting that O’Connor is getting this on decent authority. And that “milestone” reference, of course, refers to Derek Jeter‘s 3000th hit.
So I guess that means that Posada must really be rooting for Jeter to struggle, huh?
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)