Jun 8, 2011, 9:40 AM EDT
Posada doesn’t have two more seasons beyond this one on his contract, with a player option for a third. He has only until the All-Star break, give or take a couple of weeks, to prove he can be a productive member of a winning Yankees team. If he fails in that pursuit, his distinguished career in pinstripes will end. The Yankees would never release Posada before his best friend’s milestone achievement, likely arriving by the end of next week.
That wasn’t a “might,” that was a “will,” suggesting that O’Connor is getting this on decent authority. And that “milestone” reference, of course, refers to Derek Jeter‘s 3000th hit.
So I guess that means that Posada must really be rooting for Jeter to struggle, huh?
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 4
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 30
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 5
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 12
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)