Nationals draft Bryce Harper’s older brother, Bryan Harper

Jun 8, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT

bryan harper college

Lost in Bryce Harper’s latest foray into villainy is that the Nationals drafted his older brother yesterday, using their 30th-round pick on South Carolina left-hander Bryan Harper (not to be confused with the Brian Harper who spelled his name without a Y and was a really good player).

This is actually the second time the Nationals have drafted Bryan Harper. They also picked him in the 31st round out of high school in 2008, but didn’t sign him. He went on to play with younger brother Bryce at College of Southern Nevada and then transferred to South Carolina this year.

Bryce naturally thinks Bryan is really good:

He’s one of the most dominating left-handed pitchers I’ve seen in my life. My brother’s pretty good and I wouldn’t say it if he wasn’t.

Perhaps, but Bryan Harper has a 5.40 ERA and 18/17 K/BB ratio as a reliever this season. For now at least Bryce should probably stick to hitting rather than scouting.

Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post speculates that the Nationals might send Bryan Harper to Single-A to play with Bryce. If they can sign him, of course. The 6-foot-5 southpaw still has one more season of eligibility left and could opt to return to school.

1. kopy - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:36 AM

You say Bryan Harper, I say http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Harper

2. yankeesgameday - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Maybe he’s the guy that can get through to the kid, older brother and all.

3. yankeesfanlen - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Is there a Bryndon Harper and a Brytt Harper waiting in the wings? Are they all snots?

• kopy - Jun 8, 2011 at 12:11 PM

I have to admit, I did just judge this guy from knowing his brother and seeing this picture with a bad mustache, half-unbuttoned shirt, and a necklace with a jewel/charm on it.

• winkeroni - Jun 8, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Thanks for pointing out his mustache. I don’t think there is such thing as a bad mustache. I was badazzled by the fact that the unbottoned shirt looked like he played for some sort of Carona club team and not South Carolina and failed to look at the rest of the picture.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jun 8, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Winkeroni, i must disagree. As a retired member of the US Army, believe me there is such a thing as a bad ‘stache. I have seen them in all shapes and varying degrees of growth, but never outside the top lip!

4. philly56 - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Are they intentionally collecting people who needlessly stick Ys in their names?
    Werth, nix, this guy, etc.

• kopy - Jun 8, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Nothing will ever be as bad as Roger Clemens’ four sons: Koby, Kory, Kacy, and Kody.

• Charles Gates - Jun 8, 2011 at 12:21 PM

George Foreman.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 8, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Oh, no, kopy, are you one of the Rocket’s sons too?

• kopy - Jun 8, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Haha, oh man, good call. I didn’t even notice that. I am not one of his sons, but I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing. My father would be vilified in many places, and possibly going to prison… but hey, you can never have too much money!

• Justin - Jun 8, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Should I be changing my name to Justyn?

5. ThatGuy - Jun 8, 2011 at 12:32 PM

The Twins drafted Mauer’s two brothers, Billy and Jake. I also hear they are heavily scouting Joe’s seed…

• sknut - Jun 8, 2011 at 1:51 PM

And Jake is managing the A Ball club and coaching his younger bro at this point. Hopefully telling him to get out there ASAP.

• professor59 - Jun 8, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Mauer actually hasn’t been injured at all. He’s on a stud farm in rural Minnesota breeding future Twins as per his contract. It’s their best hope for a solid 2036 season.

6. genericcommenter - Jun 8, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Why did he need to go to 4 different colleges? Southern Nevada was at least his 3 school going off his online bios and stats from previous ones. It almost reminds me of the baseball version of C.J. Henry’s collegiate basketball career.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5392)