Jun 8, 2011, 6:14 PM EDT
Mark Teixeira will start Wednesday after leaving Tuesday’s game with a right knee contusion, but the Yankees and Red Sox will be missing key players tonight.
Jorge Posada left the Yankees to be with his 11-year-old son as he undergoes surgery. The Posada family is hoping that this ninth operation is the final surgery for Jorge III, who was born with craniosynostosis, a condition involving the bones of the skull.
Posada went 3-for-3 off the bench after replacing Teixeira at first base last night and certainly would have been in the lineup as a DH tonight. Since he’s absent, the Yankees are using Alex Rodriguez as a DH and playing Eduardo Nunez at third base.
The Red Sox are without their catcher due to an illness. Jarrod Saltalamacchia was sent to the hospital because of flu-like symptoms, and it’s unclear whether he’ll be available at all. With Salty out, the Red Sox are having Jason Varitek catch a Tim Wakefield start for the first time since 2005.
If the Red Sox don’t think Salty will be able to play these next couple of days, then they’ll probably make a roster move to add a catcher before the game. Both Jed Lowrie (shoulder) and Bobby Jenks (back) are candidates to go on the disabled list.
Update – The Red Sox did opt to make a move for a catcher, putting Jenks back on the disabled list with his back injury and calling up Luis Exposito.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)