Jun 8, 2011, 6:14 PM EDT
Mark Teixeira will start Wednesday after leaving Tuesday’s game with a right knee contusion, but the Yankees and Red Sox will be missing key players tonight.
Jorge Posada left the Yankees to be with his 11-year-old son as he undergoes surgery. The Posada family is hoping that this ninth operation is the final surgery for Jorge III, who was born with craniosynostosis, a condition involving the bones of the skull.
Posada went 3-for-3 off the bench after replacing Teixeira at first base last night and certainly would have been in the lineup as a DH tonight. Since he’s absent, the Yankees are using Alex Rodriguez as a DH and playing Eduardo Nunez at third base.
The Red Sox are without their catcher due to an illness. Jarrod Saltalamacchia was sent to the hospital because of flu-like symptoms, and it’s unclear whether he’ll be available at all. With Salty out, the Red Sox are having Jason Varitek catch a Tim Wakefield start for the first time since 2005.
If the Red Sox don’t think Salty will be able to play these next couple of days, then they’ll probably make a roster move to add a catcher before the game. Both Jed Lowrie (shoulder) and Bobby Jenks (back) are candidates to go on the disabled list.
Update – The Red Sox did opt to make a move for a catcher, putting Jenks back on the disabled list with his back injury and calling up Luis Exposito.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 14
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 65
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)