Jun 8, 2011, 6:14 PM EST
Mark Teixeira will start Wednesday after leaving Tuesday’s game with a right knee contusion, but the Yankees and Red Sox will be missing key players tonight.
Jorge Posada left the Yankees to be with his 11-year-old son as he undergoes surgery. The Posada family is hoping that this ninth operation is the final surgery for Jorge III, who was born with craniosynostosis, a condition involving the bones of the skull.
Posada went 3-for-3 off the bench after replacing Teixeira at first base last night and certainly would have been in the lineup as a DH tonight. Since he’s absent, the Yankees are using Alex Rodriguez as a DH and playing Eduardo Nunez at third base.
The Red Sox are without their catcher due to an illness. Jarrod Saltalamacchia was sent to the hospital because of flu-like symptoms, and it’s unclear whether he’ll be available at all. With Salty out, the Red Sox are having Jason Varitek catch a Tim Wakefield start for the first time since 2005.
If the Red Sox don’t think Salty will be able to play these next couple of days, then they’ll probably make a roster move to add a catcher before the game. Both Jed Lowrie (shoulder) and Bobby Jenks (back) are candidates to go on the disabled list.
Update – The Red Sox did opt to make a move for a catcher, putting Jenks back on the disabled list with his back injury and calling up Luis Exposito.
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 2
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 48
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 61
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)