Jun 8, 2011, 6:14 PM EDT
Mark Teixeira will start Wednesday after leaving Tuesday’s game with a right knee contusion, but the Yankees and Red Sox will be missing key players tonight.
Jorge Posada left the Yankees to be with his 11-year-old son as he undergoes surgery. The Posada family is hoping that this ninth operation is the final surgery for Jorge III, who was born with craniosynostosis, a condition involving the bones of the skull.
Posada went 3-for-3 off the bench after replacing Teixeira at first base last night and certainly would have been in the lineup as a DH tonight. Since he’s absent, the Yankees are using Alex Rodriguez as a DH and playing Eduardo Nunez at third base.
The Red Sox are without their catcher due to an illness. Jarrod Saltalamacchia was sent to the hospital because of flu-like symptoms, and it’s unclear whether he’ll be available at all. With Salty out, the Red Sox are having Jason Varitek catch a Tim Wakefield start for the first time since 2005.
If the Red Sox don’t think Salty will be able to play these next couple of days, then they’ll probably make a roster move to add a catcher before the game. Both Jed Lowrie (shoulder) and Bobby Jenks (back) are candidates to go on the disabled list.
Update – The Red Sox did opt to make a move for a catcher, putting Jenks back on the disabled list with his back injury and calling up Luis Exposito.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)