Jun 8, 2011, 5:51 PM EDT
Hired in November to replace Clint Hurdle as Texas’ hitting coach, Thad Bosley was fired today two months into the season despite the Rangers ranking fourth among AL teams in runs per game.
Scott Coolbaugh will replace him, becoming the Rangers’ fourth hitting coach in less than three full seasons.
After scoring 787 runs on their way to the World Series last year the Rangers are on pace to score 760 runs this year and that comparison is even more favorable for Bosley than it looks because offense is down across baseball and the average AL team is on pace to score 25 fewer runs than in 2010.
At the time of Bosley’s hiring in November there were numerous articles about his friendship with manager Ron Washington, who noted that “our relationship definitely goes back a ways” and “Thad has a passion for being there and also has experience and he has knowledge.”
Clearly there are factors at play here beyond the lineup’s production under Bosley. Anthony Andro of the Fort Worth Star Telegram writes that “according to sources Bosley has failed to mesh with many of the Rangers hitters.” Perhaps, but you wouldn’t know it from their actual performances, as the team ranks second in batting average and homers, third in slugging percentage, and fifth in on-base percentage while scoring more runs than every AL team but the Yankees, Red Sox, and Blue Jays.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)