Rangers place second baseman Ian Kinsler on paternity leave

Jun 8, 2011, 9:12 PM EST

ian kinsler red Getty Images

Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas has the goods.

The Rangers placed Ian Kinsler on baseball’s new paternity leave list Wednesday evening after the second baseman and his wife welcomed their second child on Wednesday afternoon.

The baby, given the name Jack Jamisson Kinsler, weighed in at 6 pounds, 9 ounces.

Kinsler is expected to spend Wednesday evening and all of Thursday with his wife and newborn child before returning to the Rangers’ starting lineup on Friday night in Minnesota. The two-time All-Star has posted an underwhelming .235/.356/.407 batting line, seven home runs and 23 RBI through 272 plate appearances this season, but the Rangers are surely pleased that he is at least staying healthy.

Texas recalled first baseman Chris Davis from Triple-A Round Rock to provide depth on the bench.

1. halladaysbicepts - Jun 8, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Another man-less move, just like the Phillies did with Ross Gload.

MLB, you gave this concession to the union? Why?

Secondly, Ian, your job is to play baseball. Where’s your team loyalty?

Paternity leave for men. What a joke!

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 8, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Four thumbs down? Hmmmm… Stop being a bunch of gutless wonders, create a login, and debate me. I’m right. Tell me why you disagree with me?

• Justin - Jun 8, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Baseball is a game. What he is experiencing is real life. He is gonna miss 2 games out of 162 not counting the playoffs for the birth of his child. Should we really be that mad he is missing roughly 1% of the baseball season?

If anyone should be upset it is Ranger fans. His wife should have had it during the road trip to Minnesota considering Kinsler’s splits in road game vs. home games.

• The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Jun 8, 2011 at 10:14 PM

I imagine all the thumbs down are because people have read your rant on this topic, and it was just as dumb then. Good for Kinsler. Family first. Baseball Second. Trolls last.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 8, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Troll? I think if you read enough of my posts, I talk baseball, Common Man. If I was trolling, believe me, you would know. You people want to “troll me” to get a reaction out of me. I’m sick of it and will react accordingly. You want a reaction out of the Bicepts and I wont stand for it.

You say family first? OK. This “Paternity” leave crap has never been done in the history of sports. Look at the post. This guy is going to miss (3) games for the birth of his child. He’s a multi-millionaire like most baseball players. You need a simple look at the kid “hello son/daughter, nice to meet you” and get back to playing baseball. You are naive to think otherwise.

• The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:00 PM

First, naive. As a great man once said, “I do not think it means what you think it means.”

Second, I looked at the post. Read the whole thing. It’s a thing I do.

Third, a codified “paternity leave” is a relatively new concept in our society, but new fathers have taken a few days off work for decades to get to spend the first couple days of their childrens’ lives to be with them. It’s a tremendous experience. If your fictional girlfriend, who totally is real guys, but lives in Canada and we don’t know her, ever lets you reproduce with her, I think it might change your perspective. It’s incredibly rewarding for a father.

I plan to take a few days off work when our second child is born this Fall. I’m not a rich person, let alone a “multi-millionaire,” but I have it on good authority that even rich people might take a couple of days to do something similar. I am encouraged to do so by my employer, by the way, who wishes to make me happy so I will continue working there, and so that others might see that my employers are good-hearted people and want to work there too.

Finally, three games represents 1.8% of a season in which Kinsler has already played 60 of 62 games. I think he has earned a couple nights off.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Common Man,

My girlfriend in Canada? What the hell are you talking about? I never said such a thing.

By the way, such a long post is not necessary for this issue.

• thereisaparty - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:47 PM

What is the point of trying to debate someone who continually proves to be extremely narrow-minded?

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:52 PM

thereisaparty,

What are you talking about? Narrowminded? My opinion can be swayed. Just not in this instance. Any dude that is missing baseball games to be with his wife that is having a baby for 3 days is a loser. Just like Ross Gload from the Phillies. I won’t have it.

• The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Jun 9, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Either you are a vapid man-child with non-existent reading skills, or you are a brilliant parody of the very worst humanity has to offer. Either way, congratulations on making it as far as you have in this world. It’s an accomplishment of sorts.

• The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Jun 9, 2011 at 12:46 AM

“I won’t have it.”

Fortunately, your opinion doesn’t actually matter in deciding anything important, and it doesn’t matter what you will or won’t have. That’s like me saying, “I won’t have it that Halladay’s Bicepts continues to post here and spell his name wrong, and not answer valid criticism, and bounce between comments like Qbert on meth with screeds about liberals.” Because we all know that’s going to happen anyway.

• jwbiii - Jun 8, 2011 at 10:22 PM

It’s been a federal law for almost 20 years. I don’t how baseball got away without complying for so long.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 8, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Because they are suppose to be men, not p**sies!

• The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:02 PM

And you are supposed to be extinct, homo erectus. And yet, here you are.

• jwbiii - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:03 PM

An MLB quote on the subject:

“‘Teams were basically granting it anyway, but they ended up playing short, and that really wasn’t the goal,’ said Peter Woodfork, a senior vice president with Major League Baseball.”

So not a union concession (like that’s going to happen with a CBA in effect), but a roster management issue.

Many men view their roles as fathers and husbands as being important.

• The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Great point, jwbiii,

Indeed, being a good father and husband is an essential part of manhood. Maybe when Bicepts grows up a little, he’ll learn that. But I’m not holding my breath.

• tomemos - Jun 9, 2011 at 9:34 AM

That quote from Woodfork *also* indicates that halladaysbicepts is wrong about this somehow being a new development. But he’s just going to believe what he believes anyway, facts be damned.

• billtpa - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:25 PM

“Paternity leave for men. What a joke!”

Totally agree–paternity leave should be reserved strictly for chicks. That’s why it’s called paternity leave.

Or…halladaysbicepts is ridiculous.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Yes. These people that disagree are liberals to the nth degree…

• The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Jun 9, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Wanting to be a good father is a liberal thing, then? That’s the line of reasoning you want to stick to?

• Utley's Hair - Jun 9, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Halladay, read his post again. He wasn’t agreeing with you.

• jwbiii - Jun 9, 2011 at 12:49 AM

Do you also believe in the converse?

2. adeedothatswho - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:36 PM

I’m just waiting for the assclown that blasted Colby Lewis for this same issue to write another article. Some people just….don’t….get….it….

3. Utley's Hair - Jun 9, 2011 at 12:51 AM

It’s good to see MLB recognizing the fact that these guys are human—and quite a few men like to take their responsibility as fathers seriously.

4. scrapscot - Jun 9, 2011 at 9:31 AM

I suspect halladaysbicepts is also the type not to pay child support if he does father a child. He’ll be (if he’s not already) one of those “dead beat dads” I look for in my job.

5. Phillies Homer - Jun 9, 2011 at 9:36 AM

I think the reason we are seeing it more is because MLB wives now know it exists. I don’t know of a guy out there that will want to have an argument with a woman going into labor after carrying your child for the past 9 months, I don’t care how much they’re getting paid!!

Ian Kinsler: “Honey, but I have a baseball game…”
    Mrs. Kinsler: “IAN MICHAEL KINSLER… I KNOW you get a 3 day paternity leave… so I TRUST that you will be here for exactly 4,320 minutes!!! Am I going to have to have a talk with Ron Washington?”
    Ian Kinsler: “No, ma’am. I will be there ma’am.”

• Utley's Hair - Jun 9, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I like to think that it’s the guys taking responsibility for their kids. But FMLA has been around since 1992, there are just a lot of places that don’t pay for it.

6. dotmeggers - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:40 PM

wow all i can say is i am sooo thankful that halladaysbicepts is not my father! i feel bad for any child that you have.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4990)