Jun 8, 2011, 10:38 PM EDT
They improved to 7-1 against the Yankees this season and moved into the AL East lead by one game.
Helped out by two Francisco Cervelli throwing errors on steal attempts, the Red Sox scored four times in the first two innings for the second straight night. They went on to take a 7-0 lead in the top of the fourth, only to watch the Yankees come back and make it 7-4 over the following two frames.
The Red Sox controlled the game from there, though. After Burnett was pulled in the sixth, Boone Logan walked in a run to make it 8-4. Those eight runs — seven earned — were all charged to Burnett in his worst start so far this season.
Derek Jeter had a double in five at-bats, leaving him 11 hits shy of 3,000 with eight games left in the Yankees homestand.
Thursday’s series finale will feature the third matchup between Josh Beckett and CC Sabathia already this season. Beckett prevailed in the first two, throwing 14 scoreless innings and striking out 19. Sabathia pitched well in the first matchup, yielding one run in 5 2/3 innings, but he gave up six runs over six innings in a May 14 loss.
Sabathia, though, has been stellar since that last defeat. He’s won four straight starts, pitching at least eight innings each time.
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 66
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 23
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 25
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 95
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)