Jun 8, 2011, 10:38 PM EDT
They improved to 7-1 against the Yankees this season and moved into the AL East lead by one game.
Helped out by two Francisco Cervelli throwing errors on steal attempts, the Red Sox scored four times in the first two innings for the second straight night. They went on to take a 7-0 lead in the top of the fourth, only to watch the Yankees come back and make it 7-4 over the following two frames.
The Red Sox controlled the game from there, though. After Burnett was pulled in the sixth, Boone Logan walked in a run to make it 8-4. Those eight runs — seven earned — were all charged to Burnett in his worst start so far this season.
Derek Jeter had a double in five at-bats, leaving him 11 hits shy of 3,000 with eight games left in the Yankees homestand.
Thursday’s series finale will feature the third matchup between Josh Beckett and CC Sabathia already this season. Beckett prevailed in the first two, throwing 14 scoreless innings and striking out 19. Sabathia pitched well in the first matchup, yielding one run in 5 2/3 innings, but he gave up six runs over six innings in a May 14 loss.
Sabathia, though, has been stellar since that last defeat. He’s won four straight starts, pitching at least eight innings each time.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)