Jun 8, 2011, 5:20 PM EDT
It’s been morbid fun watching Frank McCourt press to meet the Dodgers payroll, thereby holding off a takeover from Major League Baseball. Last month we saw him mortgage his future a little bit. The expectation this month was that he’d be sunk, given that Manny Ramirez is owed a big chunk of money in deferred compensation. Certainly MLB would have to step in on June 15th, right?
Well, no, not if Bob Nightengale’s report is accurate. He says that other MLB owners are being told that McCourt has the money to meet the mid-month payroll.
It’s unclear where this money is coming from, what with attendance way down at Dodger Stadium and McCourt still leveraged to the gills. My guess: he got Kelly, Ozone, Turbo and a young Ice-T to put on a big performance that will simultaneously help the Dodgers make payroll, and save the neighborhood rec center.
UPDATE: Bill Shaikin says that Frank McCourt is playing coy about it and won’t say if he has the funds to meet June 15th payroll. Maybe he wants it to be a surprise at the big jam at the end of the movie. Er, I mean, when payroll comes due.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 7
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 214
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (214)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)