The Guillen family is not pleased with the draft thus far

Jun 8, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT

Ozzie Guillen AP

I missed this the other night, but Oney Guillen — son of Ozzie, enemy of Kenny Williams and former White Sox employee — wasn’t a big fan of the White Sox’ first pick the draft, Keenyn Walker.  Here he is on Twitter:

Shocker white sox pick another good athlete black kid. How about picking a good baseball player

When people started asking him why he decided to inject race into it he said “People relax my comment has nothing to do with color just statting the obvious u guys overeact to everything lord.”  Then he added the always-awesome “it is what it is.”  Yep, it most certainly is, Oney!

Meanwhile, Ozzie Guillen — who should have been in a great mood given that his team just beat Seattle’s two aces on back-to-back nights — registered his displeasure with the universe last night:

Iam in very very bad mood stay away from me the most you can … A lees for a week better tha way

The general consensus: he’s mad that his other son, Ozney Guillen, fell like a rock in the draft, going to the Sox in the 22nd round. The Guillens figured he might be a tenth rounder. And maybe figured that, you know, the White Sox wouldn’t have to take him, given how much trouble family stuff has been in that organization, what with the Guillen boys, Kenny Williams’ kid, etc.

On the bright side, Ozzie did rally last night to stick it to Sean Penn a little bit, and that’s always welcome. Because, man, Sean Penn. Really.

1. Old Gator - Jun 8, 2011 at 8:52 AM

cur68: turn the photo sideways. Look at that. See the resemblance?

• cur68 - Jun 8, 2011 at 10:25 AM

NO! Now stop it. I’m eating breakfast and I want to have a happy digestive tract.

• Old Gator - Jun 8, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Breakfast tacos?

2. purdueman - Jun 8, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Oney is nothing more than a loud mouthed punk that a Grayhound bus needs to back over.

I can’t blame Ozzie though for being openly ticked off when the White Sox took one of his other son’s 22nd in last years draft and then “only” offered him a $50K signing bonus. You see, White Sox GM Kenny Williams the year prior had his own (talentless), son picked by the Sox in the 28th slot in the draft and gave him $150K signing bonus. Kenneth Williams Jr. is hitting a whopping .194 in AA right now. Can you say nepotism????

Never mix family with business; Guillens kid should have taken the $50K last year, as after 30 rounds in this years draft he’s still on the board.

3. jeffbbf - Jun 8, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Why would Ozzie be mad about Ozney draft position now? It happened last year. Ozney isn’t even eligible for the draft this year.

• purdueman - Jun 8, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Uhhh, that would be incorrect. Not only is Ozney eligible for the draft this year, but he’s openly stated that he’s anxious to sign. The Guillen clan after all are all ADHD as hell, so it’s no surprise that going to class isn’t Ozeny’s thing.

• jeffbbf - Jun 8, 2011 at 3:42 PM

my bad – last I read was that since he turned down the CWS offer last year and went to 4 yr college, he’d be ineligible. Of course, I missed the fact that he dropped USF and went to Miami JUCO, where he hit .347 (6th on the team) with a whopping 1 homer. I apologize for commenting without knowing the facts. Really, though..this just makes the whole Guillen group look worse for being angry about the situation. Glad the Sox aren’t wasting another pick on him.

• purdueman - Jun 8, 2011 at 4:03 PM

jeff… no problem. It’s easy to make a mistake especially when it comes to something procedural in MLB because MLB has such a convoluted maze of administrative rules.

Chicago sports talk radio is reporting that Ozzie’s in a big huff because the draft is now over and nobody took his kid. One of the hosts though correctly pointed out that the Guillen’s are likely to be now regarded as being one giant headache and his kid apparently isn’t good enough to want to deal with all of the crap that would likely go along with drafting him.

Guillen’s twitter happed dumbbell kid Oney is enough for any organization to take a pass on Ozney. The last thing any MLB team needs is for Oney to have a new target from which to take pot shots at.

If I were Ozzie, I’d call my buddy the dictator in Venezuela and arrange for him to send a team to kidnap Oney and then lock him up somewhere deep in the Venezuela jungles until Ozzie retires. I would have killed the kid by now if I was his parent!

4. Chris Fiorentino - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I’m not the biggest Ozzie fan, but he went up about 30 notches in my book for telling that ass-clown Sean Penn off.

• Old Gator - Jun 8, 2011 at 5:36 PM

You do realize that he had no idea who Sean Penn was, right?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4993)