Would you like to watch the Derek Lowe arrest video? Of course you would.

Jun 8, 2011, 11:00 AM EST

derek lowe mugshot

So this is apparently the police dashboard camera video from the Derek Lowe DUI/drag racing incident that resulted in no charges being pressed for either DUI or drag racing.

Authorities are still trying to determine if the officer on the scene should be charged for being a totally lame power tripper. If you ask me, the evidence is plan for all to see.

1. ryanmallettsbluntwrap - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Just another cop trying to use his authority to act like a bad ass , that is nothing knew .

• ThatGuy - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Although, if they do indeed have him on film drag racing and it just didn’t get released, I would get mad at somone lying to my face. But that was probably just a tactic to get him to tell confess.

• heynerdlinger - Jun 8, 2011 at 1:50 PM

See below… Someone posted the whole video.

Hard to tell exactly from the video, but it looks to me like the police pulled over two black cars but that one of the actual drag racers was driving a light colored “Astin Martin” (in the words of the officer).

2. ThatGuy - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:08 AM

If it’s all on video, why can’t we see the drag racing? I wonder if he won.

• ptho16 - Jun 8, 2011 at 3:10 PM

obviously lost if he got pulled over and the other guy did not.

3. The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Really glad that Lowe didn’t pull out the “do you know who I am?” card. Actually, he is incredibly deferential here. Good for him.

4. cur68 - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Having been pulled over by cops in 3 countries now (US, Australia, Canada) I have to say that’s pretty standard ‘cop’ behavior. They treat everyone like that and I imagine, when the perp starts lying, they get even ruder.

• ThatGuy - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:12 AM

and he was lying, because honestly who golfs without drinking.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 8, 2011 at 12:21 PM

You should make it a life goal to be pulled over in at least 10 countries.

• cur68 - Jun 8, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I try to stick with 1st world nations and English speaking. This only leaves me New Zealand & The UK. I’d never get pulled over in Kiwi land; those guys are too nice to stop me for DWB (the reason I’d been stopped previously in the States & Australia) but they might want to know why I’d fallen asleep at a red light which is why me and the gendarme had a chat last month here in Canuckistan. Coming home after 24 hours awake at work will do that to you. She was pretty good looking, too. Cop like that can wake me up any time.

5. echolmberg - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Just another example why it’s better to stay off the “Jump to Conclusions” Mat

6. dashtreyhorn - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:29 AM

“You got any weapons on you?”

“Just my sinker, sir.”

7. Chris Fiorentino - Jun 8, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Awesome video. I have to say that I thought Lowe was a class-act and if he really wasn’t “drag racing” with the other car, then he showed tremendous restraint. Since when did a traffic cop become Perry Mason? Look, I have nothing but the utmost respect for all law enforcement people, and I probably would have pissed in my pants and told that cop that I was responsible for the Holocaust if he told me I was. But in this case, ask the question once, and then write the ticket. It was clear that Lowe was not a threat and was cooperating 100%. His voice was level and he did everything the cop said. And as another commenter said…kudos for not playing the “Do you know who I am” card.

8. spudchukar - Jun 8, 2011 at 12:04 PM

The Sartorial Splendor deserves at least a misdemeanor from the fashion police.

9. jjschiller - Jun 8, 2011 at 1:33 PM

20 min video here… he does admit to playing baseball, after the cop prompts him with “I don’t know what you do for a living, but don’t tell me how to do my job.”

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 8, 2011 at 3:44 PM

So two cars go speeding by this cop and he assumes they know each other and were “drag racing” against each other? What a putz.

10. heynerdlinger - Jun 8, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Wait a minute, is he from Florida or does he live just a few blocks from there?

11. spindervish - Jun 8, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Much like children, cops are horrible.

12. baseballstars - Jun 8, 2011 at 3:47 PM

A man, given a badge and some authority over others, on a power trip? You don’t say…

13. Chris Fiorentino - Jun 8, 2011 at 3:51 PM

I’m about 8 minutes into this video and this cop is a complete and utter embarrassment. Two cars speed by and he wants Lowe to tell him he is “racing”. This is awful and I am very very very glad he got off on this stupid charge. I hope both of these cops get written up on charges. This is ridiculous.

14. bigleagues - Jun 8, 2011 at 5:21 PM

This is where a British term for Police officer applies: Dick.

Lowe may have been speeding but I’m glad no charges were filed because that camera reveals an Officer abusing the authority given to him and i can’t help but wonder what we’d be watching and talking about if Lowe was Black.

15. bigleagues - Jun 8, 2011 at 5:52 PM

I just watched the whole video thanks to Chris F’s link.

NO ONE should be in support of DUI. However, I love that the Georgia law is stated in such a way that you either ‘voluntarily’ submit to chemical tests of various bodily materials OR have your licensed revoked.

As someone who has ADHD and takes Aderrall like Lowe, I can tell you that taking it at 1 PM, depending on what type he is taking (long-acting or short-acting), the short acting version would have warn off long before 10 PM. Add in a long afternoon of golf and a likely work out that day, and his slight issue with walking and concentrating on steps and counting could certainly have been ADHD related.

16. stehill51 - Jun 9, 2011 at 7:20 PM

He passed the tests w/ flying colors and the length of the “follow the finger” test was borderline harrassment. This officer was trying his hardest to manufacture an incident.
    Lowe doesn’t have to incriminate himself…. he clearly wasn’t under the influence and probably had a 1/2 block challange w/ some punk….. so there’s no reason to be admitting to “drinking” or “drag racing”.

Most significant part of this video were the officers complete ignorance of the starting rotation of the Braves, their refusal to demonstate the tests they were requiring and their inability to comprehend simple statements (ie “i thought he said he played w/ Lowe”, “you said you golfed not played baseball”) unbelievable!

Cops like this better start realizing who they work for. This whole separate entity thing they got going is about to end as the country is getting fed up with abusive public employees in general.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4646)
  2. M. Kemp (3698)
  3. M. Cabrera (2909)
  4. J. Kang (2689)
  5. M. Morse (2601)
  1. J. Upton (2571)
  2. A. Rios (2243)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2227)
  4. C. Headley (2187)