Jun 9, 2011, 12:09 AM EST
According to Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe, Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia will fly back to Boston on Thursday to have his right knee examined by a specialist and could be facing surgery that would put him out for at least a month.
Pedroia has been playing with a banged up knee since mid-May and has struggled mightily at the plate because of it. The three-time All-Star is sporting a .246/.357/.338 batting line in 270 plate appearances. He’s averaged a .299/.368/.449 slash line in his five-plus seasons as a major leaguer.
Pedroia told the Globe that he will have a “needle with a camera” stuck into his knee Thursday to examine whether there’s structural damage and whether he indeed needs to have it repaired with a surgical procedure.
So for now we play the waiting game. If Pedroia gets the surgery and misses a month or more, the Red Sox will likely move Jed Lowrie to second base and ask Marco Scutaro to play shortstop again on an everyday basis. Drew Sutton would also begin seeing more frequent playing time on the middle infield.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 5
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 54
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 44
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 137
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (138)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)