Jun 9, 2011, 12:09 AM EDT
According to Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe, Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia will fly back to Boston on Thursday to have his right knee examined by a specialist and could be facing surgery that would put him out for at least a month.
Pedroia has been playing with a banged up knee since mid-May and has struggled mightily at the plate because of it. The three-time All-Star is sporting a .246/.357/.338 batting line in 270 plate appearances. He’s averaged a .299/.368/.449 slash line in his five-plus seasons as a major leaguer.
Pedroia told the Globe that he will have a “needle with a camera” stuck into his knee Thursday to examine whether there’s structural damage and whether he indeed needs to have it repaired with a surgical procedure.
So for now we play the waiting game. If Pedroia gets the surgery and misses a month or more, the Red Sox will likely move Jed Lowrie to second base and ask Marco Scutaro to play shortstop again on an everyday basis. Drew Sutton would also begin seeing more frequent playing time on the middle infield.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (143)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)