Jun 9, 2011, 12:09 AM EST
According to Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe, Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia will fly back to Boston on Thursday to have his right knee examined by a specialist and could be facing surgery that would put him out for at least a month.
Pedroia has been playing with a banged up knee since mid-May and has struggled mightily at the plate because of it. The three-time All-Star is sporting a .246/.357/.338 batting line in 270 plate appearances. He’s averaged a .299/.368/.449 slash line in his five-plus seasons as a major leaguer.
Pedroia told the Globe that he will have a “needle with a camera” stuck into his knee Thursday to examine whether there’s structural damage and whether he indeed needs to have it repaired with a surgical procedure.
So for now we play the waiting game. If Pedroia gets the surgery and misses a month or more, the Red Sox will likely move Jed Lowrie to second base and ask Marco Scutaro to play shortstop again on an everyday basis. Drew Sutton would also begin seeing more frequent playing time on the middle infield.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 80
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)