Jun 9, 2011, 12:09 AM EDT
According to Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe, Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia will fly back to Boston on Thursday to have his right knee examined by a specialist and could be facing surgery that would put him out for at least a month.
Pedroia has been playing with a banged up knee since mid-May and has struggled mightily at the plate because of it. The three-time All-Star is sporting a .246/.357/.338 batting line in 270 plate appearances. He’s averaged a .299/.368/.449 slash line in his five-plus seasons as a major leaguer.
Pedroia told the Globe that he will have a “needle with a camera” stuck into his knee Thursday to examine whether there’s structural damage and whether he indeed needs to have it repaired with a surgical procedure.
So for now we play the waiting game. If Pedroia gets the surgery and misses a month or more, the Red Sox will likely move Jed Lowrie to second base and ask Marco Scutaro to play shortstop again on an everyday basis. Drew Sutton would also begin seeing more frequent playing time on the middle infield.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)