Jun 9, 2011, 5:03 PM EDT
There will come a time when Albert Pujols getting the start at third base will no longer be newsworthy. To be honest, it probably came the last time he started at third base. But hey, it’s almost 5, I’ve been up since 4AM, I’m getting punchy and posting about this seems better than trying to get worked up about something.
So, Pujols at third against the Astros. This will be his third start and fourth overall appearance there. So far he hasn’t done himself or his team any harm. But of greater interest to people is that, if he keeps doing this, he’s going to give fantasy owners a midsummer bonus, inasmuch as in some fantasy leagues like Yahoo!’s, he’ll have third base eligibility with two more starts or six more spot appearances. Then you can just trot him out over there all willy nilly.
All of which explains my vague distaste for fantasy baseball and, in this instance, real baseball. Because no matter how he does over there, having Albert Pujols as your third baseman at this stage of his career seems to violate the laws of man and God. But I guess that’s my problem, not Pujols’, Tony La Russa’s or that guy in your fantasy league who is going to get all giddy when he can use Pujols at third.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)