Jun 9, 2011, 10:04 PM EDT
The Padres promoted first base prospect Anthony Rizzo from Triple-A Tucson on Thursday. On Monday, they could be adding a more familiar face.
From MLB.com’s Corey Brock comes word that center fielder Cameron Maybin has been cleared to begin a minor league rehab assignment and may be cleared to return to the major leagues as early as Monday. He will play three games at Tucson this weekend before the Padres make a decision.
Maybin was placed on the 15-day disabled list at the end of May with patellar tendinitis in his right knee. He left behind a .254/.321/.395 batting line, 24 runs scored, 15 RBI, six doubles, two triples and five home runs. The 24-year-old speedster has also managed seven stolen bases in nine attempts.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 25
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)