Jun 9, 2011, 10:04 PM EST
The Padres promoted first base prospect Anthony Rizzo from Triple-A Tucson on Thursday. On Monday, they could be adding a more familiar face.
From MLB.com’s Corey Brock comes word that center fielder Cameron Maybin has been cleared to begin a minor league rehab assignment and may be cleared to return to the major leagues as early as Monday. He will play three games at Tucson this weekend before the Padres make a decision.
Maybin was placed on the 15-day disabled list at the end of May with patellar tendinitis in his right knee. He left behind a .254/.321/.395 batting line, 24 runs scored, 15 RBI, six doubles, two triples and five home runs. The 24-year-old speedster has also managed seven stolen bases in nine attempts.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)