Jun 9, 2011, 10:04 PM EDT
The Padres promoted first base prospect Anthony Rizzo from Triple-A Tucson on Thursday. On Monday, they could be adding a more familiar face.
From MLB.com’s Corey Brock comes word that center fielder Cameron Maybin has been cleared to begin a minor league rehab assignment and may be cleared to return to the major leagues as early as Monday. He will play three games at Tucson this weekend before the Padres make a decision.
Maybin was placed on the 15-day disabled list at the end of May with patellar tendinitis in his right knee. He left behind a .254/.321/.395 batting line, 24 runs scored, 15 RBI, six doubles, two triples and five home runs. The 24-year-old speedster has also managed seven stolen bases in nine attempts.
- George Springer placed on 7-day concussion disabled list 0
- Video: Joey Votto ejected, bumps umpire 18
- Carlos Rodon to make first MLB start Saturday 1
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 42
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 12
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 143
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (143)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (95)