Jun 9, 2011, 10:04 PM EDT
The Padres promoted first base prospect Anthony Rizzo from Triple-A Tucson on Thursday. On Monday, they could be adding a more familiar face.
From MLB.com’s Corey Brock comes word that center fielder Cameron Maybin has been cleared to begin a minor league rehab assignment and may be cleared to return to the major leagues as early as Monday. He will play three games at Tucson this weekend before the Padres make a decision.
Maybin was placed on the 15-day disabled list at the end of May with patellar tendinitis in his right knee. He left behind a .254/.321/.395 batting line, 24 runs scored, 15 RBI, six doubles, two triples and five home runs. The 24-year-old speedster has also managed seven stolen bases in nine attempts.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 61
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)