Jun 9, 2011, 10:04 PM EST
The Padres promoted first base prospect Anthony Rizzo from Triple-A Tucson on Thursday. On Monday, they could be adding a more familiar face.
From MLB.com’s Corey Brock comes word that center fielder Cameron Maybin has been cleared to begin a minor league rehab assignment and may be cleared to return to the major leagues as early as Monday. He will play three games at Tucson this weekend before the Padres make a decision.
Maybin was placed on the 15-day disabled list at the end of May with patellar tendinitis in his right knee. He left behind a .254/.321/.395 batting line, 24 runs scored, 15 RBI, six doubles, two triples and five home runs. The 24-year-old speedster has also managed seven stolen bases in nine attempts.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 65
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 59
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 46
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)