Jun 9, 2011, 3:32 PM EST
ESPN’s Doug Glanville was a first round pick with the Cubs in 1991, so he knows all about how fresh bonus baby meat learns the ropes. Today he has a great column up about all of the little things the first round picks are going to have to get to know about their new lives as professional baseball players, from getting to know coaches to the politics of the clubhouse to how to carry oneself and all of that.
I’m struck by the notion that this is exactly what ex-ballplayers should be doing (i.e. telling us the things about the inside game that we can’t know) rather than say stuff like “he’s just looking for a pitch he can handle” or whatever usual nonsense you hear from the mouths of ex-jocks.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 83
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 145
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)