Jun 9, 2011, 9:33 AM EDT
A sad story from the Detroit News: Ernie Harwell’s personal baseball memorabilia collection — which is reputed to be worth millions and contain stuff collectors and fans would love to see — is being mismanaged by the Detroit Public Library, to whom Harwell entrusted it:
He entrusted it to the library and dreamed that one day his legacy would become a destination. But 10 months after he died at 92 last year, library executives have laid off the primary caretaker of his collection, further limiting access to the appointment-only exhibit that saw only 500 visitors last year.
Now, historians and Harwell confidantes worry his collection may be at risk in a system plagued with accusations of mismanagement and overspending.
Stuff is sitting in boxes in the basement, uncategorized and uncontrolled. There have been thefts in the past and no way of knowing if things are being stolen now, due to the lack of organization. And even if those concerns are remedied, the fact remains that the exhibition of the memorabilia is poor and access is difficult at best for library patrons.
I have much love for the city of Detroit due to my family’s history there, but no amount of civic pride should blind us to the fact that Detroit is in no position to care for this kind of collection when the city’s very survival is a far more pressing matter.
What a shame.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 9
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 49
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 108
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (86)