GM on Phillies’ trade deadline plans: “You will not see a major move this year”

Jun 9, 2011, 2:16 PM EDT

Ruben Amaro Jr. AP

General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said yesterday that he has no plans to pick up a big bat before the July 31 trade deadline, telling Jim Salisbury of CSN Philadelphia: “You will not see a major move this year.”

Philadelphia has MLB’s best record at 37-25, putting the Phillies on pace for 97 wins, but the lineup ranks just eighth among NL teams in runs and Ryan Howard (.803) and Shane Victorino (.812) are the only regulars to top a .750 OPS.

Charlie Manuel has hinted that he’d like to see the Phillies bring in some offensive help, saying: “I think there has to be a cutoff somewhere.” However, so far at least Amaro is showing a lot more patience:

Would I love to see this team perform at a higher level? Yes. And I still believe they will. Because they can hit. They can do things. You will not see a major move this year. I don’t think we need it. Right now, I’m happy with the guys we’ve got and I’m hoping they get us to the dance. This is a good team that is not playing as good as it is.

Of course, as Salisbury notes Amaro’s confidence in veteran hitters turning things around isn’t the only factor at play, as the Phillies’ current $175 million payroll is the second-highest in baseball and just short of the luxury tax threshold. Or as Amaro put it: “For $170 million-plus, we should be good enough to be a World Series contender.”

1. Phillies Homer - Jun 9, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Translation: Expect to see Jose Bautista or Albert Pujols in a Phillies uniform come trade deadline.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 9, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Pujols will play 3rd, Polonco will move to 2nd, Utley will move to left field.

Bank it!

2. halladaysbicepts - Jun 9, 2011 at 2:23 PM

He’s lying. Everyone in Philly knows this. He’s like a sly fox, preying on the rest of the GM’s from afar. He will sit back, watch everyone scramble towards the deadline, and come in to make the big strike like a cheetah.

• Old Gator - Jun 9, 2011 at 2:42 PM

With the best record in baseball, no wonder he’s under so much pressure to make a move. Hell, I couldn’t sleep with a record like that.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 9, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Philly is always a pressure cooker, no matter how good you are.

• jimbo1949 - Jun 9, 2011 at 3:48 PM

10,257 and counting.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 9, 2011 at 2:44 PM

So is he a Cheetah or a fox? Because there is a huge difference. I prefer “Ninja” myself. I don’t think he’ll do much. But I also never predicted him moving in on Lee, Or Oswalt, or Halladay (maybe a little bit), or Polanco, or Ibanez. Everything he does goes under the radar of the majority of sportswriters who usually get wind of these things ahead of time. So while he says one thing, I can almost expect another.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 9, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Ninja is fine. He’s not like any of the other GM’s that thump their chest out there all the time. He’s a master tactician. He always does.

Even the Four Aces bow before King Amaro.

3. 12strikes - Jun 9, 2011 at 2:33 PM

In last place, I exect the Jason Werth experiment is a not sitting well. Maybe JR can trade RAUUUL for Werth and get the Nats to pay 3/4 of J-Dub salary.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 9, 2011 at 2:35 PM

The only GM stupid enough to do that is Ed Wade. But, I like your thought process…

• Jonny 5 - Jun 9, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Don’t you dare talk bad about Ed Wade. In contrast to popular belief he actually made the Phillies better. And he has continued to do so while with Houston.

“Fans wanted the Phillies to make a bold move — and they had their chances to do so.”

“At one point, we had a chance to get Barry Zito from Oakland when he was a Cy Young-type pitcher,” Wade admitted. “However, the asking price was (Chase) Utley, (Ryan) Madson and Bourn.

“At the time that would have been a popular move — to get that caliber of a left-handed pitcher for a bunch of prospects nobody really knew anything about. But flash forward a little bit, and that deal wouldn’t have made much sense for the Phillies, would it?”

He also drafted Utley, Howard, Burrell, Myers, Hamels,Taylor Buchholz, Gavin Floyd, Michael Bourne, Marlon Byrd, Kendrick, and Happ for the Phillies in like 6 seasons, that’s a better return rate than most people see.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 9, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Remember this, Jonny 5, Ed Wade didn’t draft all those great players, Mike Arbuckle did. Ed Wade is just a pencil pusher and wouldn’t know a good baseball prospect if it hit him in the rear end.

• scatterbrian - Jun 9, 2011 at 3:11 PM

And only smart GMs signs players to overpriced extensions two years before they need to?

• paperlions - Jun 9, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Exactly! Arbuckle was the architect responsible for the current state of the Philly roster, the roster is full of players he (and his department) drafted or players acquired by trading quality prospects he drafted.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 9, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Bicepts, Noooo. That’s not reality. He was the GM, just like Amaro and Gillick were.

Scatterbrain, let’s see what Sir Albert and the Prince agree to before we go there. Although I tend to lean in your direction at this moment.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 9, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Jonny 5,

You can’t have it both ways. The GMs duty is to acquire the right players through trades, signing, etc. GMs, however, do not actually draft. That’s what the scouting department is for. At the time, the Phillies had Mike Arbuckle, who was in charge of that scouting department. Arbuckle is acknowledged as one of the best in the business.

It was at a time that the Phillies starting putting serious money into their scouting department. Before then, they were notoriously known as cheapskates when it came to developing players for years…

• Jonny 5 - Jun 9, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Actually, they were still cheap with Arbuckle as well. That’s why they ended up chasing high school kids. Which is what they still do a lot of. But my real point of it all is, Wade was in charge and therefore he gets credit for allowing Arbuckle to draft as he saw fit.

And isn’t it just wonderful that he didn’t trade Utley, Madson, and Bourne for Z_Z_Zito? For that alone he should be deemed forever a saint.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 9, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Hey, Eddie!!! Any way we can swing Hunter Pence and Michael Bourn and oodles of cash for Michael Martinez?

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 9, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Hair,

Lol!!! I wouldn’t put it by “Slow” Eddie Wade. I don’t care what anyone says. Wade is the dumbest GM out there. I couldn’t believe he got another GM job in baseball. Now that the Astros have been sold, I think this will be his last year there. This is unfortunate news for the Phillies. Maybe we can rob the Astros some more before he’s fired, though.

• scatterbrian - Jun 9, 2011 at 5:17 PM

@Johnny 5

I hear you, but Adrian Gonzalez got less than what Howard will make. Gonzalez is two and a half years younger and plays better defense.

4. SmackSaw - Jun 9, 2011 at 2:53 PM

He’s not making a move because his budget is maxed. What you see is what you get. If you think you know whats going on in his head, you’re delusional.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 9, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Amaro is creative when it comes to moving money around. My sources tell me something big will happen soon.

• SmackSaw - Jun 9, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Yeah, your sources are the voices in your head. halladaysbicepts…baseball prophet.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 9, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Exactly, SmackSaw. They come to be as the beer is flowing…

• Jonny 5 - Jun 9, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Dude, are you the Pirate guy I see at the games?

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 9, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Jonny 5,

No, unfortunately, I’m not that guy. But I like his style. I condone his behavior after downing a 30 pack. The Bicepts approves and admires all the beer men that work hard to keep the beer flowing during the Phils games.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 9, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Damn, I thought I might have been able to swing a discount from Ya. Oh well. The dude is original though… We also have a crazy Pistachio girl I’m hearing… Haven’t seen her yet.

5. bjavie - Jun 9, 2011 at 3:34 PM

I don’t think he’ll make a move. At least I hope he doesn’t.

I think he is right on when he says that for $170+ million they should be contenders. Damn right.

All making a move would say is, “no one has to live up their contract. if the team struggles, we’ll spend more $$ bringing in help.”

I’m sorry, I don’t want to cheer for a team like that. If they fail, let them go down as the team with more talent than anyone who couldn’t live up to it. Don’t set the precident that we will always simply spend more money to bail you guys out.

Start by not swinging at every first pitchand every 2-0 pitch.

6. Jonny 5 - Jun 9, 2011 at 6:54 PM

scatterbrain, Yeah but he’s not a franchise guy like the others are, We think, for now.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3609)