Jun 9, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
Just when it seemed like things couldn’t get any worse for Jason Bay in New York, he’s gone 0-for-20 without an RBI in six games this month. Hitless in 23 at-bats overall, he’s now down to .207/.307/.279 in 140 at-bats for the season.
Because Bay missed the first three weeks of the season with a strained oblique, he’s a little shy of qualifying for the batting title at the moment. However, if he did, he’d rank 164th of 171 players in average and 167th in slugging ahead of only Alcides Escobar, Chone Figgins, Miguel Tejada and Daric Barton.
The slump now likely qualifies as the worst of his career. He had a lousy second half of 2007 for the Pirates and finished that year at .247/.327/.418. Still, he hit 21 homers. In 2009, he had a terrible month and a half with the Red Sox, hitting .185 with three homers in a span of 124 at-bats. But this one has outlasted that one.
The Mets would appear to have little choice other than to stick with him and hope for the best. Bay is owed another $35 million after this year and has a full no-trade clause. With the suspicion being that he’s never truly recovered from last season’s concussion, it’s hard to imagine any team taking on a substantial portion of that salary.
There’s also no obvious bad contract to try and pair him with. Maybe Figgins in Seattle, but Figgins is guaranteed a relatively paltry $17 million after this year. A healthy Bay would look like a great fit as a right-handed hitter to stick in between Joey Votto and Jay Bruce in Cincinnati, but it’s hard to imagine the Reds having interest with things as is.
The Mets will either have to keep playing Bay or make up an injury for him so that they can send him on a rehab assignment for a week or two. Tonight, though, it’s Jason Pridie in left field and Bay on the bench.
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 1
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)