Jun 9, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
Just when it seemed like things couldn’t get any worse for Jason Bay in New York, he’s gone 0-for-20 without an RBI in six games this month. Hitless in 23 at-bats overall, he’s now down to .207/.307/.279 in 140 at-bats for the season.
Because Bay missed the first three weeks of the season with a strained oblique, he’s a little shy of qualifying for the batting title at the moment. However, if he did, he’d rank 164th of 171 players in average and 167th in slugging ahead of only Alcides Escobar, Chone Figgins, Miguel Tejada and Daric Barton.
The slump now likely qualifies as the worst of his career. He had a lousy second half of 2007 for the Pirates and finished that year at .247/.327/.418. Still, he hit 21 homers. In 2009, he had a terrible month and a half with the Red Sox, hitting .185 with three homers in a span of 124 at-bats. But this one has outlasted that one.
The Mets would appear to have little choice other than to stick with him and hope for the best. Bay is owed another $35 million after this year and has a full no-trade clause. With the suspicion being that he’s never truly recovered from last season’s concussion, it’s hard to imagine any team taking on a substantial portion of that salary.
There’s also no obvious bad contract to try and pair him with. Maybe Figgins in Seattle, but Figgins is guaranteed a relatively paltry $17 million after this year. A healthy Bay would look like a great fit as a right-handed hitter to stick in between Joey Votto and Jay Bruce in Cincinnati, but it’s hard to imagine the Reds having interest with things as is.
The Mets will either have to keep playing Bay or make up an injury for him so that they can send him on a rehab assignment for a week or two. Tonight, though, it’s Jason Pridie in left field and Bay on the bench.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 8
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)