Jun 9, 2011, 2:33 PM EDT
In honor of the firing of Bob Geren, The Common Man updates and re-presents his study from a year ago in which he examined whether changing managerial horses in midstream actually helps teams. The short version: eh, not really, at least from a won-loss perspective. But it’s entirely possible — and in the case of Geren, probable, based on what we’re hearing — that not changing him would have been way worse due to the risk of even more clubhouse strife.
Oh, one other random note on Geren: John Shea of the Chronicle tweeted a little while ago that Billy Beane said that one of the reasons the move was made now was because Bob Melvin was available.
Hey, good luck to Melvin and the A’s and everything, but he’s been available for, like, two years now, and he hasn’t exactly made anyone jump at him. And I’m sure that, had Beane waited three months to fire Geren, Melvin would have been available then too. So, nice not to throw Geren under the bus here, Billy, but there was a reason why he was fired today, and it had little to do with the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to snag The Bob Melvin.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 45
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 22
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 45
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 33
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (157)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)