Josh Hamilton on why Texas fired hitting coach Thad Bosley: “It was communication … not a lot there”
Jun 9, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
When the Rangers fired hitting coach Thad Bosley yesterday after just two months on the job I wrote that it couldn’t have been based on the lineup’s performance, because they rank fourth among AL teams in runs scored with a similar output to last season.
And sure enough, comments from the front office and various players made it clear that Bosley was let go not because the offense was struggling under his tutelage, but because most players didn’t like working with him.
He just didn’t fit with us. He’s a professional in the way he approaches the game and teaches the game, but it just didn’t mesh with our clubhouse. It was communication … not a lot there. You’d like to have somebody that knows when to back off, knows when to approach, gets what they want to get across to you, but find out your personality and find out how to get it across to you. Those things just didn’t happen the way they needed to.
Adding to the surprisingly quick firing is that Bosley was hired in part because of his long friendship with Ron Washington, but the manager seemed to accept the move while praising replacement Scott Coolbaugh:
Coolbaugh has a relationship with those guys and they trust in him. He’s sharp. We won’t miss a beat. We’ll move forward.
Coolbaugh worked with many of the Rangers’ hitters in the minors and shortstop Elvis Andrus in particular had good things to say about him. Of course, just a few months ago everyone had good things to say about Bosley too and now Coolbaugh is the Rangers’ fourth hitting coach in less than three seasons.
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 7
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 25
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)