Jun 9, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Yesterday the Marlins fired hitting coach John Mallee. Today Logan Morrison made it clear that he — and possibly others on the team — were not at all happy with the move.
“They felt Mallee had to go. I don’t feel that way. He’s there from day one. He got me to the big leagues. I was a 22nd rounder for a reason. I made the big leagues for a reason. And he was in between that time … I don’t think when you let somebody go who’s been with us since day one, you’re going to be any more relaxed. I think you’re going to be more (upset) than anything.”
Morrison believes that firing Mallee was owner Jeffrey Loria’s decision, not general manager Michael Hill’s or President Larry Beinfest’s. Which would square with the way Loria inserted himself into the Marlins’ managerial drama last year, first with Fredi Gonzalez’s firing and then with the will-they-keep-Edwin-Rodriguez thing that clouded the end of the season and the beginning of the winter.
But hey, that’s life with Loria, and Logan Morrison has no choice but to get used to it.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)