Jun 9, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Yesterday the Marlins fired hitting coach John Mallee. Today Logan Morrison made it clear that he — and possibly others on the team — were not at all happy with the move.
“They felt Mallee had to go. I don’t feel that way. He’s there from day one. He got me to the big leagues. I was a 22nd rounder for a reason. I made the big leagues for a reason. And he was in between that time … I don’t think when you let somebody go who’s been with us since day one, you’re going to be any more relaxed. I think you’re going to be more (upset) than anything.”
Morrison believes that firing Mallee was owner Jeffrey Loria’s decision, not general manager Michael Hill’s or President Larry Beinfest’s. Which would square with the way Loria inserted himself into the Marlins’ managerial drama last year, first with Fredi Gonzalez’s firing and then with the will-they-keep-Edwin-Rodriguez thing that clouded the end of the season and the beginning of the winter.
But hey, that’s life with Loria, and Logan Morrison has no choice but to get used to it.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 25
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 56
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)