Jun 9, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Yesterday the Marlins fired hitting coach John Mallee. Today Logan Morrison made it clear that he — and possibly others on the team — were not at all happy with the move.
“They felt Mallee had to go. I don’t feel that way. He’s there from day one. He got me to the big leagues. I was a 22nd rounder for a reason. I made the big leagues for a reason. And he was in between that time … I don’t think when you let somebody go who’s been with us since day one, you’re going to be any more relaxed. I think you’re going to be more (upset) than anything.”
Morrison believes that firing Mallee was owner Jeffrey Loria’s decision, not general manager Michael Hill’s or President Larry Beinfest’s. Which would square with the way Loria inserted himself into the Marlins’ managerial drama last year, first with Fredi Gonzalez’s firing and then with the will-they-keep-Edwin-Rodriguez thing that clouded the end of the season and the beginning of the winter.
But hey, that’s life with Loria, and Logan Morrison has no choice but to get used to it.
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 4
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 56
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 46
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (247)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)