Logan Morrison is not happy with the Marlins’ firing of hitting coach John Mallee

Jun 9, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT

mallee pose Getty Images

Yesterday the Marlins fired hitting coach John Mallee.  Today Logan Morrison made it clear that he — and possibly others on the team — were not at all happy with the move.

“They felt Mallee had to go. I don’t feel that way. He’s there from day one. He got me to the big leagues. I was a 22nd rounder for a reason. I made the big leagues for a reason. And he was in between that time … I don’t think when you let somebody go who’s been with us since day one, you’re going to be any more relaxed. I think you’re going to be more (upset) than anything.”

Morrison believes that firing Mallee was owner Jeffrey Loria’s decision, not general manager Michael Hill’s or President Larry Beinfest’s. Which would square with the way Loria inserted himself into the Marlins’ managerial drama last year, first with Fredi Gonzalez’s firing and then with the will-they-keep-Edwin-Rodriguez thing that clouded the end of the season and the beginning of the winter.

But hey, that’s life with Loria, and Logan Morrison has no choice but to get used to it.

1. AK47 - Jun 9, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I imagine Logan Morrison must have an inflated sense of how much people care about what he has to say because he’s such a hit on Twitter. The reality, however, is that he’s a 2nd year player and he should probably be keeping his mouth shut. To me he’s quickly becoming the guy who talks too much because he feels the need to chime in on every hot topic around baseball.

• kopy - Jun 9, 2011 at 6:20 PM

It’s give and take. Sure, he did start it all, but the media seeks him out on topics for two reasons: because they know from his history that he’ll give an open, candid response, and they know people really do care about what he has to say otherwise he wouldn’t have so many followers.

• explodet - Jun 9, 2011 at 6:22 PM

I would assume someone cares, since someone, you know, asked him how he felt about it.

• Old Gator - Jun 9, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Not at all. Most of his Twitter posts have been harmless fun, and this is the first time he’s “chimed in” on a team issue. This is not a trivial matter and he happens to be right. He’s also carried more than his share of the weight this season on a team that’s playing as though most of his teammates wish they were on a golf course. I also doubt that he’d be writing these things if he didn’t know that many of his teammates feel the same way about Mallee that he does. Moreover, since he’s a fairly intelligent guy as professional athletes go, he may also have discerned by now that he’s working for an asshole. If his mouth (or fingertips) can get under Scrooge McLoria’s skin – which doesn’t seem difficult, since the guy fits into it at about as snugly as a Lake Titicaca frog – and get him exiled somewhere where the working conditions are more to his liking, more power to him. it would be the fans’ loss, not his, but that hasn’t much bothered McLoria since the infamous post-2004 “market adjustment” in any discernible way.

And let’s face it: the organization felt that after the work he’d done and results he’d produced after nine years with them, Mallee was entitled to coach the big team. Not the least of those results was, as Morrison points out, turning him from a 22nd round draft pick into a major league batter to be reckoned with. Clearly, they had a very good, if not close, personal as well as professional relationship. Now, after the team has been contending most of the season it’s hitting a ten-day skid, suddenly ten years of admirable work is erased and Mallee becomes expendable. Right. It’s the usual Scrooge McLoria pettiness. If Morrison is willing to be the lightning rod and his teammates don’t resent him for it, more power to him. If you want to send signals to a strutting fool like McLoria, it doesn’t hurt to broadcast from multiple directions.

• TestSubjekt - Jun 9, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Chiming in on every hot topic around baseball? Ummm…he talked about his teams hitting coach being fired.

I don’t recall seeing Logan Morrison offering an opinion on Buster Posey’s injury or the MLB Draft. Aren’t those considered hot topics?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 9, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Actually he did offer an opinion on the Posey injury. Craig had a blog post about it last week I believe.

2. adeedothatswho - Jun 9, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Say what you want about Morrison, but this is about Loria being a terrible owner. He’s allowed for zero continuity. They have a very talented team, and I can appreciate Loria’s desire to see them win, I just don’t understand his reasoning. If I’m a Braves or Phillies fan, I do everything in my power to make sure Loria always owns that team.

Yet another WS run for the Giants