Jun 9, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT
Yesterday we wrote about Ozzie Guillen’s grumpy tweets from Tuesday night which I and many others took to be in response to where his son Ozney was taken in the draft. We got that wrong because as Brett Ballantini of CSN Chicago reports, Ozzie was on about something else:
In truth, Guillen was writing about a “very, very close friend” who is ill back in Venezuela. And it irritated him greatly that people immediately assumed he was grinding an axe against the White Sox with his writing.
“I have a life besides this [baseball] life,” Guillen said with some frustration. “My life is not [just] in baseball. I have kids, I have a family, I have a family in Venezuela, I have family [members who are] sick, I have family that struggles, I have family that needs money. That’s what my tweet was about. My tweet was nothing about baseball. Nothing. Nothing at all.
It’s easy to forget that people in baseball have lives outside of it. It’s also easy to go along with the easy baseball-related narrative. In this case, doing so was wrong. And come to think about it, trying to find any sort of narrative in something as random as Ozzie Guillen’s Twitter stream is probably not the best use of our time to begin with.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 18
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 26
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 24
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)