Jun 9, 2011, 11:33 AM EST
Yesterday we wrote about Ozzie Guillen’s grumpy tweets from Tuesday night which I and many others took to be in response to where his son Ozney was taken in the draft. We got that wrong because as Brett Ballantini of CSN Chicago reports, Ozzie was on about something else:
In truth, Guillen was writing about a “very, very close friend” who is ill back in Venezuela. And it irritated him greatly that people immediately assumed he was grinding an axe against the White Sox with his writing.
“I have a life besides this [baseball] life,” Guillen said with some frustration. “My life is not [just] in baseball. I have kids, I have a family, I have a family in Venezuela, I have family [members who are] sick, I have family that struggles, I have family that needs money. That’s what my tweet was about. My tweet was nothing about baseball. Nothing. Nothing at all.
It’s easy to forget that people in baseball have lives outside of it. It’s also easy to go along with the easy baseball-related narrative. In this case, doing so was wrong. And come to think about it, trying to find any sort of narrative in something as random as Ozzie Guillen’s Twitter stream is probably not the best use of our time to begin with.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 26
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 29
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)