Jun 9, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT
Yesterday we wrote about Ozzie Guillen’s grumpy tweets from Tuesday night which I and many others took to be in response to where his son Ozney was taken in the draft. We got that wrong because as Brett Ballantini of CSN Chicago reports, Ozzie was on about something else:
In truth, Guillen was writing about a “very, very close friend” who is ill back in Venezuela. And it irritated him greatly that people immediately assumed he was grinding an axe against the White Sox with his writing.
“I have a life besides this [baseball] life,” Guillen said with some frustration. “My life is not [just] in baseball. I have kids, I have a family, I have a family in Venezuela, I have family [members who are] sick, I have family that struggles, I have family that needs money. That’s what my tweet was about. My tweet was nothing about baseball. Nothing. Nothing at all.
It’s easy to forget that people in baseball have lives outside of it. It’s also easy to go along with the easy baseball-related narrative. In this case, doing so was wrong. And come to think about it, trying to find any sort of narrative in something as random as Ozzie Guillen’s Twitter stream is probably not the best use of our time to begin with.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 66
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (67)