Ozzie wasn’t tweeting mad about where his son was drafted

Jun 9, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT

Chicago White Sox v Cleveland Indians Getty Images

Yesterday we wrote about Ozzie Guillen’s grumpy tweets from Tuesday night which I and many others took to be in response to where his son Ozney was taken in the draft. We got that wrong because as Brett Ballantini of CSN Chicago reports, Ozzie was on about something else:

In truth, Guillen was writing about a “very, very close friend” who is ill back in Venezuela. And it irritated him greatly that people immediately assumed he was grinding an axe against the White Sox with his writing.

“I have a life besides this [baseball] life,” Guillen said with some frustration. “My life is not [just] in baseball. I have kids, I have a family, I have a family in Venezuela, I have family [members who are] sick, I have family that struggles, I have family that needs money. That’s what my tweet was about. My tweet was nothing about baseball. Nothing. Nothing at all.

It’s easy to forget that people in baseball have lives outside of it. It’s also easy to go along with the easy baseball-related narrative.  In this case, doing so was wrong.  And come to think about it, trying to find any sort of narrative in something as random as Ozzie Guillen’s Twitter stream is probably not the best use of our time to begin with.

1. halladaysbicepts - Jun 9, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Giving a guy like Ozzie Guillen access to social networking is like giving a child a pack of matches and a can of gasoline.

• cktai - Jun 9, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Fun?

2. jeffbbf - Jun 9, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Hearing the news that a very, very close friend is very ill, my absolute last move would be to jump on Twitter to tell everyone I was having a bad day. Ozzie wears more clown paint every day.

• Steve A - Jun 9, 2011 at 12:19 PM

While I agree that I wouldn’t take to Twitter in such a situation, I disagree that Ozzie looks like a fool for doing so. A lot of people use social networking sites to share their moods and feelings about their lives. On top of that, Ozzie has usually been very good about keeping the White Sox out of his tweets. I don’t see an issue with this.

3. yankeesgameday - Jun 9, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Public figures, and yes baseball managers are public figures, need to learn they don’t get the free passes the rest of us do with social media. Stay off Twitter and Facebook and there is no problem. Send your family a group email and never send pictures of your anatomy electronically.

If you want a semblance of privacy don’t do something “socially”.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB