And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights

Jun 10, 2011, 6:29 AM EDT

Geovany Sot

Sorry it’s coming a bit late this morning. Your author was under the weather last night and decided that rather than stay up watching baseball and reading box scores that an early bedtime was in order. Anyway:

Cubs 4, Phillies 3: Ryan Madson had been gold in save situations, but came up pyrite last night: Geovany Soto hit a game-tying homer off him in the ninth. Then in the 11th, Tyler Colvin scored from second when Placido Polanco threw away what would have been the third out of the inning. Colvin actually thought he had a homer in the ninth too, but it was overturned when replay showed that a Philly fan interfered with it, rendering it a ground rule double.  I can’t find a replay of that, but I’m going to assume, based on ample historical evidence, that the fan reached over the railing and barfed santa clause-themed batteries on the ball, with his nausea caused by excessive booing and cheese steak consumption.

Red Sox 8, Yankees 3: Finally, the plunkings happen. Josh Beckett hit Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez and CC Sabathia hit David Ortiz. If you’re the kind of person who keeps a ledger of these sorts of things it strikes me that Ortiz would still require about three more plunkings under the rules people like to espouse about when you hit someone. But really, given the woodshedding that the Yankees got in this series, it would come off kinda desperate and sad.  And let’s face it: that’s just not how the Yankees have ever really rolled. They tend to get their revenge by signing your free agent target and then winning a championship and acting all smug about it, not by throwing at people.

Braves 3, Marlins 2: The eighth straight loss for Florida, seven of which have been one-run games. Just awful luck for them. The law of averages — one run game edition — usually treats you more fairly than that. Jair Jurrjens is now tied with a number of fellows for the MLB lead in wins. Not bad considering he missed the first two weeks of the season on the DL.

Royals 3, Blue Jays 2: Hey, I’m not made of stone, so I gotta give Jeff Francouer some love here. Two RBI for the guy I love to loathe, while Luke Hochevar picks up his first win since May 1st.

Reds 3, Giantos 0: Seven shutout innings for Johnny Cueto. On Wednesday the Reds played a game in 90+ degree temperatures at home. Game time temperature for this one in San Francisco: 59 degrees.

Padres 7, Nationals 3: Anthony Rizzo debuts with by going 1 for 2 with a triple, two walks and a run scored. Not bad. Meanwhile, the Aaron Harang rejuvenation tour of Petco Park continues apace. He’s 7-2 now with a 3.71 ERA. In other news, it seems like Washington has been on this west coast swing for a month.

Rockies 9, Dodgers 7: Troy Tulowitzki drove in four and the Rockies finally got to Clayton Kershaw, who had thrown five shutout innings at them before stumbling though the sixth and seventh.

Mets 4, Brewers 1: A nice bounceback win after having their guts ripped out the night before. Jonathon Niese was solid into the eighth inning. Terry Collins’ actual quote after the game:

“This team was flat last night, they just came back today and just realized today was another day. I think with all that’s happened, it just rolls off their back now. It’s another obstacle they’ve got to climb over. They’re just kind of getting immune to it.”

I’m assuming that he has a metaphor/cliche punch card that he’s trying to get filled up before the end of the month so he can get a free sub or something.

Cardinals 9, Astros 2: St. Louis put up a 5-spot in the sixth inning when Lance Berkman continued to haunt his old mates with an RBI single to kick the scoring off. Berkman has played six games at Minute Maid Park this year. In those games he’s hitting .480 with five home runs and 12 RBI.

Twins 5, Rangers 4: Minnesota blew an early three-run lead, but Alexi Casilla hit an RBI single with two outs in the ninth inning to salvage it. The Twins have won seven of ten.

White Sox 9, Athletics 4: Bob Melvin’s debut didn’t look any different than Bob Geren’s last nine games, but I guess A’s players were happier about it. Adam Dunn and Paul Konerko each had two-run homers. Mark Buehrle started for the Sox and the game lasted 2:51. Which for him had to feel like 11 hours. He’s 5-1 with a 3.00 ERA in his last seven starts.

Tigers 4, Mariners 1: Justin Verlander faced a Mariners’ lineup that featured Adam Kennedy starting at first base and hitting in the three-hole, and the results were fairly predictable: 8 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 10K. Alex Avila hit two triples. The game took 2 hours, 17 minutes.

Diamondbacks 2, Pirates 0: A zero-zero tie until Chris Young hit a two-run homer in the eighth and — surprise surprise — the Dbacks’ bullpen made it stand up.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:04 AM

Another bad performance from the local 9 here in Philadelphia. If you aren’t going to hit, then you sure as hell better field and do everything else perfectly. You can only say “If these guys have any pride, they will come out tomorrow and do better…” before you have to accept the fact that THESE GUYS DON’T HAVE ANY FRIGGING PRIDE!!!

I’m getting close…right now, I am a “I’m a mushroom-cloud-layin’ motherf****r…I’m Superfly T.N.T., I’m the Guns of the Navarone!”

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:12 AM

They have been playing bad baseball for a majority of the season. The dominance of Halladay and Hamels have bailed them out to this point. Furthermore, the back end of the bullpen was operating at an unsustainable pace. People can sit here and say, “oh leading the division, best record this best record that,” but they are playing terrible. The offense is crazy bad right now. It isn’t just the players too, Charlie needs to manage a bit differently. Perfect example, bottom of the 10th Shane walks with 2 outs. Due up Ibanez, Brown, pitcher spot (Phillies have no more pitchers left). Tough lefty on the mound for the Cubs. Cubs in a no doubles defense. I’m sitting there wondering why Shane isn’t trying to steal second where he could score on a single. Because it was obvious to me that if Raul gets a single, Victorino goes 1st to 3rd, the Cubs walk Brown to load the bases for the pitchers spot. That is exactly what happened and because they had no pitchers left, Herndon comes to the plate and naturally strikes out. Why not put Shane in motion, where he could score off a single. Now, I’m not sure he would have scored on Ibanez’s single, but maybe.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:23 AM

The sad thing is that Uncle Cholly just doesn’t know how to manage a small-ball team. And that’s exactly what the Phillies have become. I thought the same exact thing last night…and think it very often. Cholly thinks he has the 2007 and 2008 Phillies, that used to do that crazy little thing called HIT. They need to score runs by running, bunting, doing the little things. Sadly, poor Uncle Cholly is woeful at managing that way.

• Old Gator - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:14 AM

You want to trade teams for a week? I can spot you two good seats at Joeprodolsharklife Stadium and leave out some forzen horsemeat and velveeta sandwiches that you can heat up in the sun by leaving them on the empty seats to your left and right.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:18 AM

See my response to your other post below…

• paperlions - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:30 AM

It may not be a question of pride. You can have all the pride in the world, but if you lack the talent, skill, or ability to play better, then you just won’t play better. The Phillies are an old team. If their struggles at the plate and in the field are age-related (including age-related aspects of injury frequency and increased recovery times), and not just random variation…then you might have already seen the best this team has to offer…because old players don’t get more healthy or more spry as the year goes on.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:39 AM

I think it has more to do with their approach at the plate. In their zeal to be “patient hitters” they often take a strike that is a good pitch to hit. Or if they get ahead in the count, swing at a bad 2-0 or 3-1 pitch and get themselves out. On a different note, I think they made the wrong adjustment by having Howard stand closer to the plate. I was thinking about this yesterday. It occurred to me that Howard is not driving the ball the other way like he usually does. I believe it is because those pitches he hit the other way last year were right down the middle. Because he stood inordinately off the plate, they were like outside pitches to him. No, those same pitches relative to his feet position are outside. They moved him closer to cover the pitches on the outer half of the plate (see Games 6 v Brian Wilson). Instead of changing where he stood, they should have taught him to not try to drive those balls out of the park, rather take it the other way and beat that damn shift.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Paper, you and I are just two completely different people. You are about as scientific as it gets…there’s a concrete and provable reason for everything. I am just guessing here, but you must be an athiest…am I right? I’m not saying anything is wrong with that, or how you think…or how you look at things. Just saying we are two different people.

• paperlions - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:58 AM

You are correct. As soon as there is even a shred of evidence, I’ll consider whichever deity it supports. And yeah, I am a scientist by profession.

The fact is that outcomes have some amount of randomness (often called luck) associated with them, which requires a sufficient sample size to factor out. There is a large amount of evidence that performance decreases past a certain age, and a lot of Philly players are past that age. Therefore, I don’t need to rely on narratives to understand the occurrences because they are consistent with a readily available and heavily data supported expectation.

….or, they could just have no pride. As soon as there is some way to actually measure pride or its effect of pride on baseball performance, we can see if it matters. :-)

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 10, 2011 at 9:06 AM

I think I am pretty scientific about many things in my life. When I am buying a car, I research prices and car reliability. When I am buying a soda, I walk the extra 2 blocks to save 10 cents and get the exercise. And I also spend my time reading only the best blogs, like this one, because I only have a certain amount of time in the day and don’t want to waste any of it.

However, I do believe that athletes have a certain amount of pride or lack thereof. I believe that LeBron James has very little pride, as is evidenced by his total of 11 points in the 4th quarter during the NBA finals this year. And I also believe that guys like Howard, Rollins, Victorino, and even Utley, and Ibanez should show some pride in their work by doing whatever it takes to get better…more BP, more film study…something. To me, if you show up at the game and just play, you are showing no pride in what you do. Halladay works hard, and it shows in his pitching…that’s pride. Same with Lee, Hamels, and to a lesser degree Oswalt.

You who else has no pride? Joe Heavy B Blanton. Guy has a pretty good arm, yet he let his fat ass go and he never truly pitched to his potential. Pride-less slob.

Pride is also what helped to make Madson better at closing this year…he took the time to change his approach and he is much better for it. If you don’t see that he is a totally different pitcher around the mound this year, then you just didn’t watch him enough the last couple years. It’s no coincidence. I just hope he didn’t kick any chairs last night because the last thing we need is another DL stint for him.

• paperlions - Jun 10, 2011 at 9:17 AM

I totally buy the effect of “pride” with respect to conditioning. If your job is as a professional athlete, you have no excuse for not being in shape. Working out is (or should be) part of your job, and it is something you would think every player would obsess over because their livelihood depends on the condition of their bodies.

I don’t know how you tease apart the effects of “pride”, confidence, experience, or whatever else may be in play with respect to things like Madson improving in the closers role. I would expect that improved stuff or improved confidence in his stuff would be more relevant than “pride”…that makes it sound like he was just too lazy or didn’t care enough to try hard in closing situations compared to setup situations. The guy may have just gotten nervous and mentally/emotionally overwhelmed….I don’t know that pride can help you overcome innate reactions (whereas experience and confidence may).

• Jonny 5 - Jun 10, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Eat Shift! I hate shift. I saw it last night, Howard hates shift too. He hates it real bad.

And I have to say Charley probably (I really don’t know) isn’t running things on the base paths. Knowing how Charley likes to manage, Sammy P and Juan S are in charge right now. And what I know of Sam P, he is afraid to make any outs. I’ve seen him numerous times put up the stop sign when I’d have had the guy go. He’s afraid to have an out chalked up to him I swear it. But then again if Charley wants the guy to run he can make it happen, It’s his choice. I think you guys are correct that they must play more small ball, at least when guys aren’t mashing, you have to change it up some to keep winning games anyway. But then again Shane just got back from an injury. Do you really want to endanger his season by working him too hard too soon, for a game you almost expected to lose anyway? I tend to think he’s got some guys being told not to over do it. All Charley wants to do is get to the post season with every one of his players on the top of his game. As we saw last season, that’s important. So, while we can yell about small ball and whatnot, don’t forget the real prize, the prize Charley promised Big Roy and the rest of them if they followed his plan. I’d say he’s trying to get these guys to hit, and stay healthy, and keep the lead in the NL East, if he does that, he’s doing what he needs to do.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 10, 2011 at 9:35 AM

I don’t think they will win the division playing like they are currently playing.

• umrguy42 - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Wait, wait, is this Chris I’m reading, or ‘bicepts? Such vitriol! O.o

• phukyouk - Jun 10, 2011 at 9:14 AM

NOOOOOOOOOO its..

“i’m a mushroom cloud laying motherfu*ker, motherfu*ker”

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:20 PM

“You can only say “If these guys have any pride, they will come out tomorrow and do better…” before you have to accept the fact that THESE GUYS DON’T HAVE ANY FRIGGING PRIDE!!!”

Feeling that way about the Yankees too.

2. drmonkeyarmy - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:04 AM

Actually the Phillies fan who interfered with the play reached his hands over, the ball hit him in the hands and rolled up his arms which he then dropped. He then picked up the ball and rifled it onto the field. After he was ejected, he was acting like he saved the game. I’ve sat in those sits before….people, keep your damn hands out of the field of play. It’s simple, particularly there. Just don’t reach over the railing. On a complete irrelevant topic, profootballtalk needs to stop deleting my posts. I am about ready to boycott. The only reason to delete a post is for profane language or using abusive language towards another poster. I have done none of those. I do, however, call that Florio character an arrogant hack. That is one of the reasons I like this blog so much. If I called Craig an arrogant hack my comment would not be deleted. In fact, I would probably get a reply from Craig and there could be dialogue between myself, Craig, and everybody else on the merits of such a claim.

• CJ - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:14 AM

none of my comments go through over at PFT either so I stopped writing them. I thought it was just me

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Very few of mine make it through. Heaven forbid you criticize Florio. Truth be told, he deserves the criticism. He masquerades himself as a legit journo, not just a blogger. One story he did the other week was a direct ripoff from the comment section. He didn’t credit the posters or anything with his story. Just wrote it up and pretended like it was an original thought. I called him on it, but my comment never made it through the “Nazi Moderator” they have going on over there.

• CJ - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:58 AM

last time I posted there and didn’t make it through it was on that post about his birthday. All I said was maybe this year he’ll finally have to start shaving more than once every three months.

And they censored it. Petty.

• cshearing - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:26 AM

It may be the fact there seem to be a lot more comments on profootballtalk. Not excusing the deletions, that’s just pathetic, but that’s probably why.

I am also thinking about boycotting the site, but ironically my reasons are the moronic comments :)

• paperlions - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Same here, I almost never read the comments section, they are unbearable. I thought the conspiracy theory that NFL employees were bombarding the board was laughable at first, but the comments are so blindly pro-ownership and have so much spin, that I don’t know who else could possibly be writing them. I know a lot of NFL fans, and none of them feel the way most of the posters do at PFT. I do still go there just to get a quick run down through the news though, especially the morning links.

3. Old Gator - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:11 AM

I don’t know that the Feesh have had bad “luck.” Bad effort, bad concentration, lackadaisical attitude, lousy boolpen work, and above all situational hitting so awful that it gives mere opportunism a bad name. When they run out on the field in the top of the first these days, they resemble a pod of pilot whales dead set on beaching themselves and ruining somebody’s clambake. Playing volcano virgin with their hitting instructor, the Feesh seem to be turning to superstition and metaphysics to haul their sorry tails out of the horse latitudes.

Chris Volstad seems to be the designated karmic weltschmertz this year, pitching well enough to win again for any team that hasn’t forgotten how to score runs and carrying a no-hitter into the seventh. The Iron Giant contributed his usual solo home run, but even that landed in the empty orange seats in short left field – low Earth orbit by Iron Giant standards. Perhaps I’m too quick to criticize Stanton for his inability to hit home runs when men are on base, and ought to flame the baserunners for failing to be on base when he comes to bat. The way these guys are playing, it’s not unreasonable to suspect that the runners who were supposed to be on first and second were hanging around the buffet picking out the last bits of Finocciona from under the cheese cubes before the equipment manager spotted it and just forgot they were supposed to be out on the field. Who knows?

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Marlins last 8 games…

0-8 scoring 23 runs.

Phillies last 8 games…

3-5 scoring 22 runs.

Here come the Bravos…

• Old Gator - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Are you kidding? From the Feesh’s perspective, here come the Mutts. The strange attractor, which was merely a hypothetical construct last week, is looming up at them the way the sidewalk looms up at some guy who just jumped off the roof.

Well, at least they’ll feel at home there. Most of them probably left their old Bermuda shorts and Raybans in the lockers at the end of last season.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:46 AM

I’m just feeling sick because I probably squandered some hard-earned cash on the stinking Feeeesh, with my over wins bet…plus my under wins bet on the Bravos isn’t looking so good anymore either.

• addictedzone - Jun 10, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Seven of the eight losses being by just one run too. Not only does a stretch of one run losses like that make you lose sleep, it’s caused the usually happy go lucky rambunctious LoMo to only hit 2 tweets in 6 days, which oddly enough is the number of games that Lomo has a hit in the last six games..

Maybe David Samson has put the clamps on him. Free Lomo.

• Old Gator - Jun 10, 2011 at 10:50 AM

That’s like having a chihuahua bite your leg and refuse to let go.

• addictedzone - Jun 10, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Marlins win tonight. LoMo is out of twitter jail.

LoMoMarlins
        I’m baaaaack. Apologies for being MIA. Tough week.
        44 minutes ago

4. thefuzziestkitty - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:35 AM

Madbum is the new Matt Cain in terms of run support. 2-8 with a 2.68 FIP, 9th best of all Major League Starters. His ERA’s a bit higher than his FIP, at 3.23, so his impression could use some work.

Although it didn’t occur here, anytime a fan of another first place team complains about their offense, a Giants fan rolls their eyes.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Yeah, but the Giants are not supposed to score runs, particularly sans Posey and a fit Sandoval. The line-up is terrible.

• bleedgreen - Jun 10, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Sounds like Cole Hamels last year. Essentially a top 5 pitcher that couldn’t get more than a run from his offense. Hell, a few times he had to save the team himself from getting no-hit.

5. yankeesfanlen - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Yankees should have emulated the Black Eyed Peas last night.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 10, 2011 at 9:09 AM

What, no haiku? No poem? If you are going to write them when they win, you have to write them when they lose, Len.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 10, 2011 at 9:29 AM

You are no doubt correct, a game that lasts til 2AM clogs the thinking muscles. And they were limericks, and it seems that no one could put quite the right lilt into them when reading.

But anyway, didn’t want to add to the gloom of Phillies fans because you could take all the previous posts here about them, change a few names, and that would characterize the Yankees shameful lack of offense the past three games.

Oh, and throw in the Electronic metaphor of OG’s Feesh for good measure.

6. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Jun 10, 2011 at 9:53 AM

The Cubs-Phillies home run debacle in the 9th is the best argument against the instant replay. First, it took the umps about ten minutes to review the play and then make the call. Then the Cubs managers gives the ump an earful (as he should have) for another two minutes or so. And, of course, the umps got the call wrong. The ball may well have been just a double, but there was simply no way to tell from the replay. The fan was reaching over the railing, but the ball hits him on the forearm, so without a view along the railing line it is hard to tell. One other thing, why didn’t they toss the fan out for interfering with the ball in play?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 10, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Ball hit him in the palms of the hands and rolled up his forearm. His hands were clearly over the railing. It was the right call. They escorted him away. I don’t know if they just moved him or tossed him, though.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 10, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Your entire post couldn’t be any more wrong…

First, it took about 4 minutes for the review…I was watching the game and I timed it.

Second, The umps got the call 100% right.

Third, The fan was ejected.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 10, 2011 at 10:15 AM

They did toss the guy. And it was the right call too. The ball was in front of and below the railing and bounced up into the stands.

7. yankeesfanlen - Jun 10, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I’m more awake now. Yankees.com could e-mail their daily propaganda this morning something like:
    A) Yanks dumped from 1st place by BoSox sweep
    B) Bullpen challenged by injuries
    C) Four game series vs. Indians could change AL East and Central Standings.
    But nooooooo…….
    Today’s pertinent Yankees.com e-mail is titled:
    Paul McCartney’s Stadium concert Pre-On-Sale begins at 10AM today
    Yeah yeah yeah

8. spudchukar - Jun 10, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I actually have a fantasy team named the Weltschmerz, but after reading the above comments I may change the name, they are, after all, doing okay. Maybe that Harold Camping was on to something. Yes it is easy to be cheery when the ball is bouncing your way, but Holy Sigmund, the above comments are one collective groan. Order up some megadoses of Zoloft, and slip said supply into the water in Philly, NY, and Miami.

In other news, the BRIB, if only for a day, rests in ol’ St. Lou. With the assistance of Lance, who yes, I still like a Lot, Homer-a-day Berkman leading the way, the mostly Memphis Cards took another series. Five of the starters, Lynn, Cruz, Hamilton, Greene, and Jay, were practicing their collective craft at the minor league level earlier this year, got the starting nod and proceded to garner another victory. Add a clutch PH by another rookie Descalso, and fine relief from Batista, Miller, Motte, and Sanchez and the no-names protected our narrow league lead. It is off to Milwaukee, where I hear they have a beer there that makes them famous. Personally it makes me want to puke, but that is a story for another day. Cheer up gang.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:05 AM

There was a pitcher back in the 50s named Milt Famey. Used to keep a stash of Schlitz in his locker for a little pick-me-up between innings. Sometimes he would lose his command during the late innings if his team scored a lot. So he’d bring them to the dugout and throw the empties into the hallway leading to the locker rooms.
      So in the seventh, his team took forever scoring 4 runs to put them in the lead, and Milt had brought 4 cans to the dugout for the long effort.
      Sure enough, he couldn’t hit the strike zone anymore and two runs scored on bases on balls.
      Thge opposing team, victorious, walked down the runway and were puzzled by the plethora of Schlitz cans littered everywhere, so one player asked-“What’s all this garbage” to which another, knowing of the situation, responded:
      “Oh, that’s Schlitz, the beer that made Milt Famey walk us”.

• spudchukar - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Len, I contemplated retelling the joke, I knew it slightly differently, among other things it was Mel Famey, but your version is great. Kudos.

• jimbo1949 - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:25 AM

I love groaners, 3+ for Len!

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Thanks, as you know, I’ll be here all week. How’d they come to name it Ovaltine?……

• spudchukar - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I don’t know, but I did pour my syrup out of a metal container shaped like a log cabin.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:10 AM

We need not slip Zoloft into our drinking water when it comes from the tap that way already.

“In a national pilot survey of five effluent-dominated rivers, the highest level of antidepressant he and the EPA found in fish tissue was about 19 nanograms of Zoloft per liter in a fish outside Philadelphia.”

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:51 AM

I wonder if Zoloft would help a player hit a line drive instead of a fly ball…if so, I’m all for spiking the Phillies water fountains with the stuff.

9. Chris Fiorentino - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:53 AM

On another note, I was just handed 4 tickets to the Trenton Thunder game tonight…they are the ML affiliate of the Yankers, right? Seats are in section 13 row BB. These are behind home plate…second row?? Anybody know if this is a nice stadium? Taking my 3 year old daughter so I don’t want to get involved in any Yankers ML affiliate vs Mutts ML affiliate fighting going on tonight.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Wouldn’t worry Chris. Mutss fans have been in hiding for months (yearsz) now. Even BC doesn';t stop by anymore with his awards. Too bad.

• Old Gator - Jun 10, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Yeah, where has BC been, anyway?

10. uyf1950 - Jun 10, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Well It’s hard to believe that a 3 game home series could get any uglier then the one Yankees fans just witnessed. The Yankees need to take 6 out of the next 7 home games against Cleveland and Texas. And Cashman needs to do something about the Yankees pitching situation sooner rather then later. At the very least bullpen help is needed immediately. That’s only the tip of the iceberg that he should be looking at. Just calling it like I see it and that’s my opinion.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate