Jun 10, 2011, 9:30 PM EDT
Anderson underwent an MRI earlier this week after he was placed on the disabled list with left elbow soreness. The A’s haven’t disclosed the results of the exam, but Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that the southpaw is now scheduled to receive a second opinion Monday from Dr. James Andrews.
As I wrote in this space the other day, a visit to Dr. Andrews doesn’t always result in surgery, but remember that Anderson was sidelined twice last season with left elbow inflammation. While the Athletics dodged a bullet last year, they might not be so fortunate this time around.
Anderson, 23, has a 3.66 ERA over his first 62 starts in the big leagues. He is 3-6 with a 4.00 ERA and 61/25 K/BB ratio over his first 13 starts this season.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 200
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)