Jun 10, 2011, 9:30 PM EDT
Anderson underwent an MRI earlier this week after he was placed on the disabled list with left elbow soreness. The A’s haven’t disclosed the results of the exam, but Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that the southpaw is now scheduled to receive a second opinion Monday from Dr. James Andrews.
As I wrote in this space the other day, a visit to Dr. Andrews doesn’t always result in surgery, but remember that Anderson was sidelined twice last season with left elbow inflammation. While the Athletics dodged a bullet last year, they might not be so fortunate this time around.
Anderson, 23, has a 3.66 ERA over his first 62 starts in the big leagues. He is 3-6 with a 4.00 ERA and 61/25 K/BB ratio over his first 13 starts this season.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 35
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 87
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)