Jun 10, 2011, 9:30 PM EDT
Anderson underwent an MRI earlier this week after he was placed on the disabled list with left elbow soreness. The A’s haven’t disclosed the results of the exam, but Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that the southpaw is now scheduled to receive a second opinion Monday from Dr. James Andrews.
As I wrote in this space the other day, a visit to Dr. Andrews doesn’t always result in surgery, but remember that Anderson was sidelined twice last season with left elbow inflammation. While the Athletics dodged a bullet last year, they might not be so fortunate this time around.
Anderson, 23, has a 3.66 ERA over his first 62 starts in the big leagues. He is 3-6 with a 4.00 ERA and 61/25 K/BB ratio over his first 13 starts this season.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- PHT: Bruins go 'above and beyond' in Gm. 3
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury