Cecil Fielder wants to make amends with Prince Fielder, who still wants nothing to do with him

Jun 10, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT

cecil fielder and prince fielder

Alex Espinoza of the Yuma Sun wrote a story about former slugger Cecil Fielder entitled “Fielder hoping to mend relationship with son.”

Within the article there are no real details about why Cecil Fielder and Prince Fielder are estranged, but the story does include a bunch of quotes from Cecil–including “can’t anybody say I didn’t give my son everything in the world”–that seem to paint Prince as the bad guy.

In reality Cecil Fielder gambled away millions of dollars while married to Prince Fielder’s mother, went through a very difficult divorce, and allegedly took $200,000 of an 18-year-old Prince’s signing bonus from the Brewers.

There are plenty of good reasons for Prince not wanting to have anything to do with his father, yet every year Cecil manages to get articles written about their relationship that portray him as the victim looking to repair a relationship. Seriously, here’s one from 2006 and one from 2007 and another from 2009. And there are more where those came from.

I’m sure Cecil isn’t all bad just as Prince isn’t all good, but if all someone knew about the situation came from today’s article in the Yuma Sun they’d think Prince was just being a jerk to his father and … well, that simply isn’t true. Cecil Fielder goes out of his way to talk about his son while Prince Fielder goes out of his way not to talk about his father, and the media coverage of the situation reflects that. What happened is still what happened, though, and Cecil doing all the press in the world isn’t going to change that.

1. skerney - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Is it too cynical to suggest that Cecil knows $180 million is coming his sons way very soon and this is why he wants to “reconnect?”

• uuddlrlrbastart - Jun 10, 2011 at 6:50 PM

I was very tempted to thumbs down you, only because that’s exactly what I wanted to say. With that exact dollar amount floating around my head, too.

2. SmackSaw - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Pop’s must be hungry.

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:06 PM

My dad’s the epitome of Cecil. I know just how Prince feels. The emotions and inner-struggles you have about feeling about your father the way I’d imagine Prince feels can be crippling.

• henryd3rd - Jun 10, 2011 at 1:42 PM

I had a toxic relationship with my own father and I can sympathize with Prince; but he’s got to bigger man then Cecil and I mean that figuratively and forgive his dad. When my dad died there was no way for me to mend that riff and I suffered for it for years. If I had it to do over again I would “man up”, made my peace with my dad and gotten on with my own life.

• TestSubjekt - Jun 11, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Were you already a multi-millionaire that was about to hit the jackpot and get more money than you’ll be able to spend in your lifetime, while your father had a serious gambling problem?

4. Chris Fiorentino - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:17 PM

If this really happened…

“$200,000 of an 18-year-old Prince’s signing bonus from the Brewers”

then I don’t blame Prince one bit. As someone who lost his father when I was 20, I normally am on the side of reconciliation…forgive and forget. But it sounds to me like Cecil was a real bad guy, and I don’t think Prince owes his father anything. Also, it is very classy of Prince to keep his feeling out of the media. Let Cecil prove to everyone why you aren’t in a hurry to contact him with the things he is saying to the media.

• nixonotis - Jun 10, 2011 at 2:07 PM

I think you touched on the main point here when you said it was “classy of Prince to keep his feelings out of the media.” No one can understand what is going on between a father and a son from the outside. We have no idea who wronged whom, and exactly why they haven’t made “amends.” What we are witnessing here, though, is one party who is choosing to keep family matters private while another seems to be manipulating the media in order to improve his own image as a father. Those actions would seem, at least to me, to speak volumes about the nature of this relationship and the way Cecil might have treated his son earlier in his career or even as far back as childhood.

5. xmatt0926x - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Cecil is a scumbag, plain and simple. This is an old story and cecil had no interest in being a husband or a father in the past. The fact that Cecil is willing to continually use the media to somehow pressure Prince when he knows Prince has never talked to the media abouy this just shows you that this “loving” dad is willing to try and embarass his son to force some kind of contact. I’m sure it has nothing to do with the money though. When guys like Cecil Fielder and Dykstra steal their own son’s money, it’s merely a misunderstanding. I’m sure if Prince was making $40,000 a year that Cecil would be just as interested. Yeah…..that’s probably the case..

6. jwbiii - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:48 PM

I know the Cecil Fielder Stole from His Kid story, you know the Cecil Fielder Stole from His Kid story, why on God’s green earth doesn’t Alex Espinoza, professional journalist, know the Cecil Fielder Stole from His Kid story?

His next column will be a puff piece on Len Dykstra, right?

7. Jonny 5 - Jun 10, 2011 at 1:42 PM

He did give him a pretty damn cool name though didn’t he?

• nightman13 - Jun 10, 2011 at 3:44 PM

He probably did it with the intention of implying that as the Prince’s father he was King.

8. skerney - Jun 10, 2011 at 2:10 PM

In descending order l like: Prince Rogers Nelson, Prince Fielder, Prince Michael Jackson, Prince William, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves.

• nixonotis - Jun 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Calling him Prince Rogers Nelson makes his sound more like a panelist on Match Game and less like the dude who wrote “Little Red Corvette.”

9. tomemos - Jun 10, 2011 at 3:00 PM

I don’t know much about the case, but in general my policy is to take whatever someone on FreeRepublic is saying and believe the exact opposite.

10. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 10, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Ive read most of the stuff out there about these two. My opinion is the only thing Prince should be thankful to Cecil for is not flattening his mother into a pancake when he was conceived.

11. phatnate - Jun 10, 2011 at 3:14 PM

“He’s going to talk to me like he’s my son, not like I’m a man out on the street.”

These are the words of an egomaniac narrsisitic father. I know I have one. It means if I can’t manipulate, control and exploit you then I have no use for you.

12. Elwood Larf - Jun 11, 2011 at 6:54 AM

It’s interesting to see the comments on this one–it obviously struck a nerve in many. As a grown man who never knew his father and grew up calling his stepfather “Dad,” it’s a touchy subject for me, too. I never got along with either of the men charged with being my father figure whatsoever. I now think that neither my biological father nor my stepfather who raised me were bad men, though neither were cut out for raising a son, either. But as I look back, I was selfish and insensitive as a young man learning the lessons of life. I think you have to give the younger person a bit of a free pass considering that when certain things were happening, the son was still a child whereas the father was an adult and should have dealt with the situation better. We must consider, however, that when Prince Fielder was born, Cecil was little more than a boy himself, suddenly showered with money and isn’t the first person in such a situation not to make the best decisions. Now he’s old and out of the spotlight and probably full of regret. Let’s all keep in mind that if our wildest dreams came true, if we suddenly became the rock star or the hall of fame athlete or the prize winning novelist we once dreamed of being, we probably wouldn’t make all good decisions in the wake of our success, either. Outlandish success has destroyed many a man (see Cobain, Kurt) and it’s very easy to sit at our computers and talk about how much more responsible we would have been with the millions of dollars and the international fame and the limitless women throwing themselves at us. Whatever is between Cecil and Prince is their business, but unless he was an outright abusive maniac or something, perhaps Prince should try to find a way to forgive him and start again. Sometimes that’s easier said than done, but if I can forgive my father for being irresponsible and unready for parenthood at 25, maybe he can, too. The sad truth is that many of us become parents before we’re ready for the responsibility, and some of us just plain aren’t cut out for it. Only when we’re older do we realize that our own shortcomings have hurt others the same way we’ve been hurt ourselves.

13. frankvzappa - Jun 11, 2011 at 10:39 AM

For some reason I thought Cecil Fielder was dead. He can’t be too poorly off, he certainly is doing better than I thought.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4950)