David Ortiz and Josh Beckett blame the media for plunkings

Jun 10, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT

David Ortiz Getty Images

Here was David Ortiz after last night’s game, in which he was plunked:

“I just want to thank [the media]. Not all of you, but some of you, for the stat today about be not being hit. I finally got hit. I hope you [expletive] are happy.”

Then Josh Beckett:

“I’m still trying to figure out if David got hit for something I did or if it was something ESPN stirred up.”

Eh. I think the media’s calls for retaliation following Tuesday night’s game were pathetic indicia that they care more about storylines and at sort of bullcrap than they do about the actual honor and well-being of players, but let’s be honest here: the media didn’t make CC Sabathia hit David Ortiz. I don’t think the media could make Sabathia do anything he didn’t want to.

1. Jason @ IIATMS - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:33 AM

The plunking was earned. Right or wrong, this is how the PLAYERS mete out justice. The Sox had drilled a number of Yanks before Ortiz took one for his team. All square.

And yes, let’s blame the media. Craig, I blame you, personally. It’s those new glasses.

• paperlions - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:39 AM

The players are just doing what the majority fans/media always do. They are looking for additional structure/meaning for events instead of recognizing the most logical reasons, which are more mundane, and therefore ignored.

• professorperry - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:43 AM

You are my favorite poster of the day.

http://xkcd.com/904/ must be read.

• paperlions - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:47 AM

Much of what I do for a living is analyze and interpret data, the phenomenon referred to in the comic is a constant theme you have to try to beat down in my field…along with bias associated with pet theories.

• heynerdlinger - Jun 10, 2011 at 10:02 AM

It’s all just part of a cosmic unconsciousness.

2. Tim's Neighbor - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:41 AM

The same ESPN that Ortiz once did a commercial for? Hmmmmm.

• professorperry - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Jeter has NEVER appeared on ESPN. It’s true.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Seems kinda odd to make a story out of the story that the media was blamed for the plunkings because they made a story out of them…

4. lammy5555 - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Of course someone from the media, you Mr. Calcaterra, would downplay the media’s involvment. The media created the problem. Suck it up, and admit it.

• paperlions - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Focusing on media involvement ignores the event context and proximate causative agent. If it was a media-related (or even bat-flip related) plunking, why did they wait to plunk him until after 2 Yankees had been hit two games later?

If you are going to hit a guy, the most logical time to do it is with 2 outs and no one on, so that the chances of it leading to a run are minimized. Ortiz was hit the inning after ARod was hit and there were 2 outs with none on. There are more parsimonious explanations for the plunking that you have to by-pass to conclude the media-related stuff had any effect at all.

• lammy5555 - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Without the media bringing the issue to the forefront (i.e. questioning players and managers after games with questions on a “controversial” topic) then there is a factual probability and likelihood that the media could be contributing to the proxime cause of the action thus being able to hold them liable.

Also, you are reporting inaccuracies as to when Ortiz was hit. He was hit in an inning with only 1 out and 1 runner on base. I agree that the time to do it is with 2 outs and none on in an inning where a player from a previous team was just hit. However, the timing of this incident could lend some credence to media outlets creating a situation.

5. Andrew Zercie - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Ortiz can dish it out (34 HR vs. NYY, unconfirmed number of bat-flips), but he can’t take it (161 games vs. NYY, 1 HBP).

I think the media played a role in all of this, but all they did was push back the inevitable by a day. Joe Girardi couldn’t have “ordered the hit” on Ortiz a day after the bat-flip and the sensationalist coverage of it, it would have been too obvious, and it could have led to something more perhaps.

As it is now, the Yankees need to stop concerning themselves with beanballs and start playing the game right. The Red Sox own them so far this year, and there’s no getting around that.

6. heffmessina - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Red Sox pitchers hit 5 or 6 Yankees in the series, including Texeria in the knee and A-Rod and Jeter last night. None intentional of course but it was time to send a message to them to start being more careful.

7. phukyouk - Jun 10, 2011 at 9:11 AM

I looked all over you tube for the chris rock “media” skit but was unable to find it. but for those of you who know what im talking about…

“”You think I’ve got 3 guns in my house ’cause the media outside? When I go to the money machine tonight, alright, I ain’t looking over my back for the media: I’m looking for ……”

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 10, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Oh shit it’s Mike Wallace, run!

8. shaggylocks - Jun 10, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Ahh, now the new storyline in the media will be about the media creating storylines. I LOVE this new storyline!

9. mattcaldwell - Jun 10, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Nice wirk Jim Rome!

10. 18thstreet - Jun 10, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Why would anyone watch ESPN instead of MLB Network? Seriously. Other than Ravich, who is worth listening to over there?

It’s not like I watch a TON of highlight shows, but I pretty much never watch Baseball Tonight unless a series of unlikely events means that the highlights from the Red Sox game are way more likely to be on ESPN than MLB Network. (Okay, not that unlikely: it’s when MLB Network is showing another game and thus not doing highlights.)

Now, back to the Top 9 seasons by a left fielder. I love that stuff.

• Andrew - Jun 10, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Agreed, I can’t remember the last time I watched Baseball Tonight when I had MLB Network as an alternative.

• Andrew - Jun 10, 2011 at 1:57 PM

(Though to be fair, I feel that they could rework Quick Pitch a bit. I’m tired of seeing the hosts bungle their way through a highlight because first, they haven’t seen the highlight yet; and second, everything’s going too fast for them to get their thoughts out of their heads coherently).

11. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 10, 2011 at 10:26 AM

How does Big Poppy have time to watch the media, what with that extensive investigation he is running to get to the bottom of his allegedly positive drug test. Hopefully he will find out about that soon so we can finally have his comments.

BTW, and completely unrelated, nice late-career resurgence this year.

• Justin - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Yankee fan making fun of a Red Sox player for steroids? I think that is the definition of the pot calling the kettle black.

• bobwsc - Jun 10, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Giambi, Sheffield, Clemens, A-Rod…yea, you should talk.

12. yankeesfanlen - Jun 10, 2011 at 10:35 AM

I guess I’ll comment on this non-event.
    Jeter and ARod had been plunked by BoSox pitching 20+ times apiece, vs. zero times the Sox had been plunkees. Then one pitch “slips” from CC’s arm, and……..

• Jonny 5 - Jun 10, 2011 at 10:47 AM

I figured it just “slipped”. A breaking ball that didn’t break so well, is the norm in a case like this. I’m sure Paperlions above would agree that a non breaking breaking ball is going to happen more frequently than an actual intentional plunking. Surely.

• sparky1002 - Jun 10, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Of course he “slipped”…just look at all the “slipping” he did in the same game during the 7th inning.

13. funkygoorilla - Jun 10, 2011 at 10:41 AM

The RedSox buy all their championships!

• bobwsc - Jun 10, 2011 at 10:52 AM

you gonna post that on every Sox-related story? especially a Sox/Yanks story…again?

• funkygoorilla - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Yes, because when the Yankees win, someone always says that. So I am keeping the tradition alive. And besides, its true!!

14. Matt - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:26 AM

I say plunk the media’s cleanup hitter to teach their team a lesson.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Where’s Jon “Mystery” Heyman in the lineup? Can we just plunk him?

15. Old Gator - Jun 10, 2011 at 4:18 PM

It was mere coincidence that the sequence of events gave two ballplayers an opportunity to call the media a bunch of assholes. However, ballplayers want to do that at any given time. This was a case of serendipity, not synchronicity.Cosmic unsconsciousness my ass.

16. md23rewlz - Jun 10, 2011 at 4:57 PM

I love how Ortiz told Girardi to take the bat flip “like a man,” yet when Ortiz inevitably gets plunked (a part of baseball, like it or not), Ortiz does the exact opposite of “taking it like a man” and goes on this little b*tchfest. So laughably unaware. I am laughing now. Hahaha. Laughter.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet