Jun 10, 2011, 5:57 PM EST
One day after getting his knee scoped, Dustin Pedroia is back at second base for the Red Sox.
Pedroia said that he had an MRI on Monday that revealed cartilage damage in his right knee, which led to the decision to have it scoped Thursday. If the damage needed to be repaired, Pedroia probably would have missed 3-4 weeks.
“It’s weird because I got one opinion and the other opinion was different,” Pedroia told the Boston Globe’s Peter Abraham. “The safest thing was to go in there and let Dr. Gill see it. I saw it, too. It was kind of a cool thing. He had a camera in there. I got to see what the deal was.
“It’s been bugging me for a while. As long as I can continue to play and just deal with it, it’s good I guess.”
Pedroia said what little cartilage damage there was wasn’t worth having surgery now or even after the season unless the soreness worsens. He expects to keep playing through the soreness, and the Red Sox aren’t planning on scheduling regular days off for him.
“I actually feel better when I don’t have a day off,” he said. “I don’t know if I get some blood flowing or stuff like that. That’s why I don’t really like taking days off.”
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)