Jun 10, 2011, 5:57 PM EST
One day after getting his knee scoped, Dustin Pedroia is back at second base for the Red Sox.
Pedroia said that he had an MRI on Monday that revealed cartilage damage in his right knee, which led to the decision to have it scoped Thursday. If the damage needed to be repaired, Pedroia probably would have missed 3-4 weeks.
“It’s weird because I got one opinion and the other opinion was different,” Pedroia told the Boston Globe’s Peter Abraham. “The safest thing was to go in there and let Dr. Gill see it. I saw it, too. It was kind of a cool thing. He had a camera in there. I got to see what the deal was.
“It’s been bugging me for a while. As long as I can continue to play and just deal with it, it’s good I guess.”
Pedroia said what little cartilage damage there was wasn’t worth having surgery now or even after the season unless the soreness worsens. He expects to keep playing through the soreness, and the Red Sox aren’t planning on scheduling regular days off for him.
“I actually feel better when I don’t have a day off,” he said. “I don’t know if I get some blood flowing or stuff like that. That’s why I don’t really like taking days off.”
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)