Jun 10, 2011, 5:57 PM EDT
One day after getting his knee scoped, Dustin Pedroia is back at second base for the Red Sox.
Pedroia said that he had an MRI on Monday that revealed cartilage damage in his right knee, which led to the decision to have it scoped Thursday. If the damage needed to be repaired, Pedroia probably would have missed 3-4 weeks.
“It’s weird because I got one opinion and the other opinion was different,” Pedroia told the Boston Globe’s Peter Abraham. “The safest thing was to go in there and let Dr. Gill see it. I saw it, too. It was kind of a cool thing. He had a camera in there. I got to see what the deal was.
“It’s been bugging me for a while. As long as I can continue to play and just deal with it, it’s good I guess.”
Pedroia said what little cartilage damage there was wasn’t worth having surgery now or even after the season unless the soreness worsens. He expects to keep playing through the soreness, and the Red Sox aren’t planning on scheduling regular days off for him.
“I actually feel better when I don’t have a day off,” he said. “I don’t know if I get some blood flowing or stuff like that. That’s why I don’t really like taking days off.”
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)