Jun 10, 2011, 5:57 PM EDT
One day after getting his knee scoped, Dustin Pedroia is back at second base for the Red Sox.
Pedroia said that he had an MRI on Monday that revealed cartilage damage in his right knee, which led to the decision to have it scoped Thursday. If the damage needed to be repaired, Pedroia probably would have missed 3-4 weeks.
“It’s weird because I got one opinion and the other opinion was different,” Pedroia told the Boston Globe’s Peter Abraham. “The safest thing was to go in there and let Dr. Gill see it. I saw it, too. It was kind of a cool thing. He had a camera in there. I got to see what the deal was.
“It’s been bugging me for a while. As long as I can continue to play and just deal with it, it’s good I guess.”
Pedroia said what little cartilage damage there was wasn’t worth having surgery now or even after the season unless the soreness worsens. He expects to keep playing through the soreness, and the Red Sox aren’t planning on scheduling regular days off for him.
“I actually feel better when I don’t have a day off,” he said. “I don’t know if I get some blood flowing or stuff like that. That’s why I don’t really like taking days off.”
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 20
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 36
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)