Jun 10, 2011, 6:22 PM EDT
The good news is that the Rays have Evan Longoria back tonight after the All-Star third baseman missed three games with strep throat.
The bad is that the team’s best hitter this year, Matt Joyce, is absent with what the Rays are calling “post-injection soreness” in his left shoulder.
Joyce received his second cortisone shot of the year due to lingering soreness in the shoulder and is dealing with pain around the injection area. He’s expected to be available to pinch-hit tonight, and the Rays are optimistic that he’ll be back in the lineup on Saturday.
Joyce is second in the AL in batting average this year. Having falled into a bit of a slump, he’s recently tumbled from second to fourth in OPS, with Miguel Cabrera and David Ortiz now in the place and show positions behind Jose Bautista. Joyce is hitting .338/.397/.590 with 10 homers and 34 RBI in 195 at-bats.
Since Joyce probably isn’t going to hit .340 all year, it’d help the Rays a lot if Longoria could step it up. He’s hitting .252/.360/.435 with just 13 RBI in 115 at-bats. He finished with an OPS in the .870-.890 range in each of his first three big-league seasons, but he’s at .795 right now.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 17
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)