Jun 10, 2011, 8:34 PM EST
Pablo Sandoval opened his pro career as a catcher and caught in 14 major league games as a rookie in 2008 and sophomore in 2009. Now, with Buster Posey done for the season due to a fractured ankle, the Giants are considering reintroducing him to the position and using him there on a part-time basis.
“I think he’d be fine behind the plate, too, and don’t think we haven’t discussed that,” manager Bruce Bochy told the San Jose Mercury News.
Asked to elaborate, Bochy said:
It’s come up. It’s not something we’ve ruled out, and we may discuss it further. But for right now, the plan is to play him at third base for the most part.
Sandoval was never very highly regarded as a defensive catcher and likely would have been moved even if the Giants didn’t make Posey the fifth overall pick in the 2008 draft. Bochy indicated that if the Giants did try him there again, it’d strictly be a part-time thing.
Sandoval is expected back Tuesday after missing six weeks with a fractured hamate bone. If the Giants really intend to put him behind the plate on occasion, then it becomes quite a bit more likely that they’ll keep Miguel Tejada around for a while longer.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)