Jun 10, 2011, 8:34 PM EDT
Pablo Sandoval opened his pro career as a catcher and caught in 14 major league games as a rookie in 2008 and sophomore in 2009. Now, with Buster Posey done for the season due to a fractured ankle, the Giants are considering reintroducing him to the position and using him there on a part-time basis.
“I think he’d be fine behind the plate, too, and don’t think we haven’t discussed that,” manager Bruce Bochy told the San Jose Mercury News.
Asked to elaborate, Bochy said:
It’s come up. It’s not something we’ve ruled out, and we may discuss it further. But for right now, the plan is to play him at third base for the most part.
Sandoval was never very highly regarded as a defensive catcher and likely would have been moved even if the Giants didn’t make Posey the fifth overall pick in the 2008 draft. Bochy indicated that if the Giants did try him there again, it’d strictly be a part-time thing.
Sandoval is expected back Tuesday after missing six weeks with a fractured hamate bone. If the Giants really intend to put him behind the plate on occasion, then it becomes quite a bit more likely that they’ll keep Miguel Tejada around for a while longer.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)