HBT Daily: The at-bat walkup song draft

Jun 10, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT

wutang

We decided to change things up a bit today. Rather than just talking about what’s coming up this weekend, Tiffany, Matt and I decided to do a draft. A draft in which the three of us each picked walkup music we’d use if we were major league hitters.

As you’ll see, I am by far the oldest, lamest and nerdiest of the bunch. But does that mean my walkup choices are bad?  Does Matt’s choice of Motley Crue and Wu-Tang songs make him the automatic winner?  Is Tiffany really serious about the Rhianna song? Do Matt or Tiffany’s reaction to my second choice mean they’ve never seen an episode of “Arrested Development?”

Check out the video first and then, below, cast your vote to see whose draft was the overall winner.  We taped it yesterday and, after a good night’s sleep, I tend to think that Matt’s is the best.  Man, I wish I would have thought about Wu-Tang.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Also, you forgot about Dre.

• smarterthangirardi - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:19 AM

likelikelikelikelikelikelike

2. Concretepiggy - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Faith No More – Epic
    Chromeo – When the Night Falls
    Amon Amarth – Victorious March (the ultimate for getting pumped up)

3. yankeesfanlen - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Craig, since you’re into Johnny Cash, how aboutt “A Boy Named Sue” for Frenchy?

Anyway, don’t do this again, my fellow voters plead of you.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Folsom prison blues is probably my favorite from Johnny Cash.

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Duh Tiffany. She’s hotter than both of you so you both can’t win by default. Star Wars, Regulate and The Wu are all awesome choices. My personal favorites would be (in no particular order):

Nas “NY State of Mind” (yall know my steelo)

2Pac “Holla at me” (hell hath no fury like a woman’s scorn, cemetary full a mothaf@ckas not knowin’)

Outkast “Hootie Hoo” (I’m just a southerplayalistic pimp)

honorable mention: Xzibit “Papparazzi” (that’s deep. how deep? deeper than Atlantis. Home of the scandalous, big bad Los Angeles.)

Word.

Negative points for Tiffany referencing “ghetto” when bringing up Kanye. The two are mutually exclusive. Ghetto implies “gangsta” and there ain’t nothin’ gangsta about Kanye.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:54 PM

I have another one…just heard Pearl Jam’s “Alive” and I would choose the guitar solo at the end and walk up to the plate and “play” along using the bat as the guitar through the entire two-and-a-half minute solo…make the pitcher wait!

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 10, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Well, if we use that theory, we could have the Inagaddadavida bridge come up while Beep-beep adjusts his batting gloves.

5. Jonny 5 - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:36 AM

“sunday afternooner” huh? Imperial march rules all of the other picks.

My #1 “Battery” starting at the 1:25 mark.

If that doesn’t cause you to tear the cover off, not much will.

6. RickyB - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Give me a little “Low Rider” by War and I’m good to go.

7. spudchukar - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Jimmy Cliff-“The Harder They Come”.
    Sly-“Life”

8. Jeremiah Graves - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:54 AM

“The Game” – Motorhead
    “Eye of the Tiger” – Survivor
    Ultimate Warrior’s Entrance Theme

• Jonny 5 - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Eye of the tiger only works in one city.

9. StottsEra - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Joe Mather is one of my favorite braves, solely b/c his theme song is Zeppelin’s When the Levee Breaks and not some crappy rap song.
    And I’ve been to enough braves games this year to see Joe Mather start a game

• spudchukar - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Not many Idaho boys in the Bigs, especially after Harmon passed, but Mather calls Sandpoint home. A veritable Eden. However, it is also the one-time home, and birthplace, if I am not mistaken of yes, the one and only, Sarah Palin.

• jwbiii - Jun 10, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Thumb up not for political reasons, but for Idaho trivia knowledge. But I should expect that from someone representing Idaho Falls!

• spudchukar - Jun 10, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Hey I don’t go near that place. Mormons and the Nukes, I try to avoid both.

• jwbiii - Jun 10, 2011 at 7:12 PM

And I had you pegged as an Idaho Falls Chukars season ticket holder.

• spudchukar - Jun 10, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Sun Valley is my home, although for the first 11 years I lived here it was in Sandpoint.

• jwbiii - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Cool. Just made the guess because the word ‘chukar’ doesn’t show up much in contexts other than polo and, well, Idaho Falls.

• spudchukar - Jun 11, 2011 at 4:34 PM

It is a cool game bird, I like its looks. If I could animate my blog moniker, it would be a Foghorn Leghorn type fowl, throwing a spud at a rapid rate. Now that I think about it, thrown at hunters would be a hoot. How about you? Live Close? or just visited and know the area?

10. Walk - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Had to vote for craig, he had the only song out of the ones listed that i had voluntarily listened to. As far as the other songs go i think i may have heard one on a cell phone commercial or maybe a ring tone, likely would know them if i heard them. John smoltz and Trevor hoffman had some great music though coming in to save a game.

11. paperlions - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:34 PM

So that picture isn’t of the Rays during another theme trip?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 10, 2011 at 1:25 PM

That would be their best road trip theme yet.

12. bklynbaseball - Jun 10, 2011 at 1:03 PM

When Gary Sheffield was with the Yankees, he used “Move Bitch” by Ludacris as his walk-up…..that was epic…..

13. Andrew - Jun 10, 2011 at 1:38 PM

“COME ON!”

Don’t worry Craig, I didn’t miss this AD quote. Matt Capps had “The Final Countdown” as his song last year (at least while with the Twins) and a couple friends and I always thought of AD whenever he came out of the bullpen.

• scatterbrian - Jun 10, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Indeed. Well played Craig.

14. Andrew - Jun 10, 2011 at 1:41 PM

As for my songs, I’ve always had a couple. My favorite two though are:

Kasabian, “Underdog”
    Carl Orff, “O Fortuna” (though maybe I should weigh more than 180 lbs. first before I use this song)

15. scatterbrian - Jun 10, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Part of me wants to choose something so ridiculous that it throws off the pitcher. I’m dating myself here, but something like the theme to “Mr. Belvedere” or that song that always played at the Blue Oyster Bar in Police Academy.

16. Utley's Hair - Jun 10, 2011 at 2:59 PM

The Fall Guy theme

17. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 10, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Iron Man, by Black Sabbath.

18. jwbiii - Jun 10, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Search and Destroy, Stooges.

• JBerardi - Jun 10, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Fun House

19. cur68 - Jun 11, 2011 at 12:40 AM

There can be only ONE song:
    Breathe by Prodigy-

Come play my game
    Inhale, inhale, youre the victim
    Come play my game
    Exhale, exhale, exhale

20. bram1552 - Jun 12, 2011 at 8:48 PM

The three songs: Help is on the Way- Rise Against
    Soldier-Eminem
    I’m Bad- LL Cool J
    Crosses three eras and the all announce your presence when you arrive………..

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2495)