Jun 10, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official: Joba is going to have Tommy John surgery next week with Dr. James Andrews. Tough break, kid. Or, well, tough tear.
In lieu of flowers, please make donations in Mr. Chamberlain’s name to The Human Fund.
YESTERDAY, WHEN THERE WAS STILL HOPE LEFT IN THE WORLD: Bad news came back for Joba Chamberlain a few minutes ago: he has a torn elbow ligament.
Joe Girardi just told the Yankees beat writers that, while a decisions hasn’t been made yet, he believes that Tommy John surgery is likely. That would obviously end Joba’s season. And would kill the majority of next season.
The weird thing is that there wasn’t any warning or any obvious incident of injury here. Until he was shut down yesterday, he had been pitching fine. There was no walk-off-the-mound-holding-his-elbow moment. No unexplained implosion brought on by a sudden loss of velocity. He just got shut off like a switch. Guess that’s just how ligaments roll sometimes.
Going into the season the idea was that the Yankees bullpen was going to be all aces, with Mariano Rivera owning the ninth, Rafael Soriano setting things up in the eighth and Chamberlain manning the seventh most days. Now Mariano stands alone.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)