Joba Chamberlain to have Tommy John surgery

Jun 10, 2011, 4:45 PM EST

Texas Rangers v New York Yankees, Game 4 Getty Images

UPDATE: It’s official: Joba is going to have Tommy John surgery next week with Dr. James Andrews.  Tough break, kid.  Or, well, tough tear.

In lieu of flowers, please make donations in Mr. Chamberlain’s name to The Human Fund.

YESTERDAY, WHEN THERE WAS STILL HOPE LEFT IN THE WORLD: Bad news came back for Joba Chamberlain a few minutes ago: he has a torn elbow ligament.

Joe Girardi just told the Yankees beat writers that, while a decisions hasn’t been made yet, he believes that Tommy John surgery is likely. That would obviously end Joba’s season. And would kill the majority of next season.

The weird thing is that there wasn’t any warning or any obvious incident of injury here. Until he was shut down yesterday, he had been pitching fine. There was no walk-off-the-mound-holding-his-elbow moment. No unexplained implosion brought on by a sudden loss of velocity. He just got shut off like a switch. Guess that’s just how ligaments roll sometimes.

Going into the season the idea was that the Yankees bullpen was going to be all aces, with Mariano Rivera owning the ninth, Rafael Soriano setting things up in the eighth and Chamberlain manning the seventh most days.  Now Mariano stands alone.

1. yankeesfanlen - Jun 9, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Well, we can plan our immediate relief pitching future from here. Where did I leave Hank’s checkbook?

• royalsfaninfargo - Jun 9, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Hey Len, if the Yanks have anything left in their farm system im sure i could convince my “source” close to Dayton Moore to offer up Soria.

• Old Gator - Jun 9, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Len, get a grip. Come down off that ledge. I know this is a crushing development, but don’t do anything desperate. (Keep him distracted until they can bring the net, OK?) Len, are you listening? Stop staring into space like that. The FAT TOAD will be back before you know it….

Shit. He jumped. What did I say?

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 9, 2011 at 7:51 PM

In the immortal words of Steve Martin- “I blame-a myself”.

• APBA Guy - Jun 9, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Len-

I’m sure we all wish Joba..I mean, THE FAT TOAD the best, health-wise. Any of us who’ve had injury related surgery feel a certain bond.

But with him and Soriano down, what is the NY media saying about specific reinforcements?

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 9, 2011 at 7:50 PM

As of this moment, according to Ken Davidoff (Newsday) Cashman is holding his cards close to the vest, and not saying anything other than “internal candidates”. Boone Logan is no prize.. Sanit has pitched a couple of times and done well. The Killer B’s are not ready yet.
        The obvious answer is for starters to go 7.
        There’s a kid Kevin Whalen in the minors, rumored coming up by Curry (YES).
        That’s all for now on my twitter feeds.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 10, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Do you think while Joba is getting Tommy John surgery that they may also perform some liposuction? Get both procedures done at the same time?

2. fanchizedotcom - Jun 9, 2011 at 4:22 PM

This is a real tough loss for the Yanks. Their starting pitching basically hinges upon the bullpen being able to pick up 3-4 innings a game and Joba was a big part of that. It’s pretty wild that just a few years ago Joba was the next best thing in pin stripes. I have to put a good portion of this one on Yankee management, Joba was mishandled for far too long. Hopefully he can bounce back from this over time.

3. aceshigh11 - Jun 9, 2011 at 4:27 PM

It’s criminal how badly the Yankees mismanaged this guy’s young career.

As a Sox fan, I have no love for him, but he had GREAT stuff for a while.

4. smarterthangirardi - Jun 9, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Luis Ayala in the 7th, Robertson in the 8th, and Mo in the 9th… I was elated when soriano went on the dl but right about now we can use a good mop-up guy like him…we need another kerry wood this year

• fanchizedotcom - Jun 9, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Why were you elated about Soriano going down? Thinning out your bullpen is never good.

• smarterthangirardi - Jun 9, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Because Joe left him in the setup role when he obviously couldnt put together one solid outing so when he got hurt it forced him to put a better pitcher in that role…Sadly it happened to be Joba, it amazes me that he was able to make it this far with all the shit they put him through

5. Jonny 5 - Jun 9, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Can the Yankees even catch a break when it comes to pitching? Myers and/or Wandy trade coming soon????

• The Rabbit - Jun 9, 2011 at 4:38 PM

If I were you, I would be hoping the Yankees would take the $2M man, Danys Baez.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 9, 2011 at 4:43 PM

LOL!!! There is no way in my richest of dreams could Ruben Amaro make Cashman that deal without putting a gun to his bean. Amaro would have to eat 1.98 million for that to happen I think.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 9, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I amend my request of Eddie—Michael Martinez, Danys Baez, JC Romero for Hunter Pence and Michael Bourn. You know…for old time’s sake…before he’s canned by new ownership.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 9, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Thumb down me, it’s ok. But Brett Myers is really pretty deadly from the Pen. Sure he “WANTS” to be a starter, but he’s a badass reliever for sure. The Yankees really would do well to pick him up IMO.

6. jamie54 - Jun 9, 2011 at 4:46 PM

……..Uhhhhhhhh calling San Diego, we have a few good men that would love to serve some time in NYC. Montero for Bell sounds good.

• banksatdixie - Jun 10, 2011 at 7:13 PM

I’d be a crime to waste Montero’s bat in that canyon you guys call a ballpark. The kid would go from 30 HR potential to 10 HR potential in no time.

7. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 9, 2011 at 4:51 PM

It always sucks when a young guy gets hurt and know i will draw the ire of Yanks fans, but he has been a prick since he came into the bigs. Maybe he will learn some humility after this.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 9, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Fargo- In response to both your posts, I’m sure Soria has been considered in the past and wouldn’t be ignored now. And you don’t draw my ire at all as is well known around here. Given the circumstances, I’m being respectful today.
      And I’m as far from the “poor, misused Joba” band as I can distance myself.

8. uyf1950 - Jun 9, 2011 at 4:51 PM

To quote Friedrich Nietzsche: “What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger.”

I also recently read on ESPN that Kerry Wood and Grant Balfour might become available via the trade market.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 9, 2011 at 5:00 PM

uyf- We know Kerry Wood’s record and would welcome him.

• uyf1950 - Jun 9, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Looking at Balfour’s stats he doesn’t appear to be a bad selection either. Currently he’s making about $4M per.

• uyf1950 - Jun 9, 2011 at 5:06 PM

yankeesfanlen, my friend. It would appear that Cashman is going to have his hands full over the next 30 to 45 day until the trade deadline. Bullpen help, after this series with the Sox he needs to look at the starting rotation. AJ is quickly becoming his usual self. And I don’t think Garcia is the guy you wan to have to “go to” against the better teams. Hopefully Hughes comes back strong after the All Star break but I still think they need another pitcher. Just not sure who it could be right now.

• purnellmeagrejr - Jun 10, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Who’s dumber – ESPN for reporting Kerry Wood is available or you for believing it? Guy gives Chicago a huge discount and they’re going to trade him? Owner ship would be flogged – and then whipped.

• Old Gator - Jun 10, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Nietzsche says order arises out of chaos, uyf.

9. SmackSaw - Jun 9, 2011 at 5:31 PM

They can have Fernando Rodney.

10. Jonny 5 - Jun 9, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Gator, you’re just being mean now. Mmmmmm Brett Myers…. Len, you know you welcome this…:.

11. cur68 - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:56 AM

Octavio Dotel from the Jays. We’ll give him to you. Please take him and f$%king Bieber, too.

• spudchukar - Jun 10, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Hanging on to Avril for the hockey season?

• raysfan1 - Jun 10, 2011 at 10:48 PM

As the papa of a 13-year-old girl, I must request Canada stop the cruel abuse and keep “Biever” north of the border.
      On the other hand, I will happily accept Shania Twain in any trade you care to entertain.

12. sparky1002 - Jun 10, 2011 at 7:06 AM

Where is the consistent hitting from the Yankees that I see in other teams they play? Haven`t heard much about the Yankee hitting coach lately and he wrote a book on the subject.

13. yungdaz - Jun 10, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Take Montero and a few prospects get Felix Hernandez from Seattle. Then buy KRod from the Mets. We all no that they could use the money.

• purnellmeagrejr - Jun 10, 2011 at 5:58 PM

You must be a Yankee fan if you think they can get Felix for a prospect or two.

• jwbiii - Jun 10, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Remember: This is the Universe. A prospect anyone who is under 30 or makes less than $10M. Montero, Granderson, and Cano might get it done.

• JBerardi - Jun 10, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Jesus Montero is slugging .416 right now and he’s still not a catcher. You could maybe trade him for a signed photo of King Felix at this point. Maybe.

14. jamie54 - Jun 10, 2011 at 5:47 PM

So much for the ‘Joba Rules’ the Yanks had implemented in an attempt to prevent this.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4693)
  2. M. Kemp (3727)
  3. M. Cabrera (2923)
  4. J. Kang (2759)
  5. J. Upton (2624)
  1. M. Morse (2618)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2298)
  3. A. Rios (2271)