More than just a sweep for surging BoSox

Jun 10, 2011, 3:52 AM EDT

CC Sabathia Reuters

The Yankees finally retaliated.

Following two more plunkings tonight, CC Sabathia had decided enough was enough.  Josh Beckett hit Derek Jeter in the elbow in the top of the first and Alex Rodriguez in the hip in the in the fourth.

After A-Rod limped to first, Sabathia, working with the Yankees up 2-0, picked his target, hitting David Ortiz in the right thigh with a 97-mph heater in the bottom of the fourth.  It was just the second time Yankees pitchers had ever hit Ortiz, the first time coming eight years ago in the ALCS.

Warnings were issued, but it seemed like the Ortiz HBP made it case closed for both teams, and there were no repercussions after Beckett hit Curtis Granderson in the foot with a breaking ball in the fifth.

The Yankees had made their statement.  And then they went about blowing the game.

Sabathia cruised through six innings, allowing just two hits, but the Red Sox exploded for seven runs on nine hits in the seventh.

Ortiz, hitting for the first time since the plunking, started the rally with a single and then closed it with a two-run double.  The Red Sox added one more run in the ninth and won 8-3.

The victory gave them consecutive three-game sweeps at Yankee Stadium.  They’re 8-1 against the Bombers this year.  Three times now Beckett and Sabathia have matched up, and the Yankees have lost those games by a combined score to 18-3.

At least the Yankees did score for the first time off Beckett tonight.  After Jeter was hit by the pitch to start the game, Granderson homered, giving the Yanks the 2-0 lead they held most of the way.  They couldn’t dent Beckett from there, though, coming up with just three more hits against him.

With the win, the resiliant Red Sox moved two games up in the AL East.  Their ownership of the Yankees is the big reason why.  They’ve dominated the Bombers so thoroughly that Mariano Rivera has appeared in just one of the nine contests so far, coming into the May 15 loss with the Yankees down 7-5.

Fortunately, the Yankees don’t have to beat the Red Sox to make it to the postseason.  They have the AL’s third-best record despite their struggles.

Still, one wonders whether the Yankees could look a whole lot different by the time to two teams play again on Aug. 5.  Jorge Posada could be gone.  Derek Jeter might be batting at the bottom of the order.  Phil Hughes should be back, though perhaps not the 2010 Hughes the Yankees are hoping for.

But what the Yankees really need is for Sabathia, A.J. Burnett and Mark Teixeira to show for these games.  Teixeira has gone 4-for-33 against Boston this season.

Things are very well set up for Boston now.  The middle of the order looks devastating.  The duo of Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Jason Varitek behind the plate is working out just fine all of a sudden. And even though Beckett is the only one of the team’s top four starters pitching as hoped, the Red Sox lead the AL with 36 wins.  There’s no more confident team in baseball at the moment.

1. dan1111 - Jun 10, 2011 at 4:43 AM

Sabathia vs. Red Sox: 0-3, 6.16 ERA
    Sabathia vs. everyone else: 7-1, 2.44 ERA

May this small sample size grow larger.

• addictedzone - Jun 10, 2011 at 9:43 AM

After the game, it was rumored that CC was heard muttering, “I tip my hat and call the Red Sox my daddy.”

2. bobwheel - Jun 10, 2011 at 6:56 AM

Remember 2009.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Couldn’t agree more…8-0 to start and they ended up 9-9 for the year. The Red Sox and and Yankers always get up for each other. Now the Sox go to Toronto, where they will lose 2 of 3 and then to Tampa where they will also lose 2 of 3. It will end up a 5-4 road trip, which will be considered a success, with everyone forgetting that they were at one point 3-0. Always happens.

Meanwhile the Yankers will surprise everyone and go 6-1 the next 7 against the Indians and Rangers and be in first place when interleague play begins.

• bobwsc - Jun 10, 2011 at 10:40 AM

that’s some heady, unbiased analysis. the Sox have won 19 of their last 25. besides the skid against Chicago, they’ve dominated. now they’re going to drop 4 of 6? and the Yankees are going to go 6-1? and Jeter will turn water into wine as well?

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I am as big a Red Sox fan as almost anybody on this board. They are my second favorite team, behind my home town Phillies. I know the Red Sox. If, in a week, they finish the road trip 5-4 and the Yankers go 6-1 against the Indians and Rangers, I hope all 39 of the thumbs downs turn into thumbs ups when I post something on next friday’s ATH…

sadly, I seriously doubt that will happen.

• redsghost - Jun 10, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Chris Fiorentino – Jun 10, 2011 at 11:45 AM
        If, in a week, they finish the road trip 5-4 and the Yankers go 6-1 sadly, I seriously doubt that will happen.

Thought I’d clean this up for a “Sox Fan” (sic)

• bobwsc - Jun 10, 2011 at 2:35 PM

redsghost – Jun 10, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Chris Fiorentino – Jun 10, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Thought I’d clean this up for a “Sox Fan” (sic)
        _______________________________________
        well played sir

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 10, 2011 at 2:44 PM

I hope you guys are right this time, as I love the Red Sox. Believe me, it will be no pleasure for me to go into the ATH comments section next Friday and tell all you guys that I was right and you were wrong. And of course, if the Sox go 6-3 or better, then I will admit I was wrong, like I always do.

• marshmallowsnake - Jun 10, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Keep living in the past…

3. purdueman - Jun 10, 2011 at 7:03 AM

Yankee fans fear not! Your GM did after all just pluck career minor leaguer Jeffrey Marquez off the waiver wire in oder to shore up the pen you know! LOL! What a joke Hank and Hal are turning out to be as they continue to treat nickles as if they were man hole covers while begrudgingly trying to pull them out of their pockets!

• Jason @ IIATMS - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:30 AM

So $200+M isn’t enough, purdueman? What has this got to do with Hank and Hal? I’m long on record as anti-Hank, but try not to overreact. The Sox handed us our lunch. Period. Tip the cap and refocus on the next series.

As for Marquez, a former Yankee farmhand dealt to Chicago for Swisher (thank you very much), he’s nothing more than system depth.

The answer is not always buying up others trash. The answer can lie within (the farmsystem). Have faith, ye of little faith.

/bus stop full of b*tches and skeezers. (yes, listening to “Let Me Ride”)

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 10, 2011 at 9:12 AM

I agree…A Yankees fan complaining about the team not spending enough money is like…is like…well, I honestly don’t think there is a single simile that can finish that sentence. Pretty pathetic.

• professor59 - Jun 10, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Maybe this’ll help:
        Rooting for the Yankees to win is like rooting for George Clooney to get laid.

4. ryanmallettsbluntwrap - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Yankees just got trashed , yes trashed , at home , the second series in a row , that series was a blow out , like i said , NY is not going to do anything against the Red Sox in the playoffs with that rotation , Red Sox offense is much more powerful , along with their pitching staff . Laser show .

• bozosforall - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Red Sox team ERA is a half run higher than the Yankees. So much for your uninformed analysis.

5. funkygoorilla - Jun 10, 2011 at 9:16 AM

The RedSox buy all their championships!

• psousa1 - Jun 10, 2011 at 10:59 AM

and funky goorilla can’t buy a clue……………….

• marshmallowsnake - Jun 10, 2011 at 2:40 PM

And the Yankees try to every year…what is your point?

6. 78mu - Jun 10, 2011 at 9:26 AM

The Yankees have nothing to worry about from the Red Sox. I know because at the beginning of the season when the Sox couldn’t win so many sportswriters and broadcasters said their season was over.

7. bobwsc - Jun 10, 2011 at 10:53 AM

what is Sabathia eating in that picture?

• marshmallowsnake - Jun 10, 2011 at 2:44 PM

His pride…

8. smarterthangirardi - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:28 AM

can i just say something bout posada and jeets, both are heating up so look at recent numbers not season average crap and youll see improvement.

• bozosforall - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Kind of like how the Red Sox are improving on their slow start. Odd how the Sox fans downplay this but continue to dog Posada and Jeter. As usual, the Sox fans show their ignorance.

• redsghost - Jun 10, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Don’t you just love blanket statements from Yankee fans?
        “As usual, the Sox fans show their ignorance”
        As usual? Could you tell us every time we’ve shown our ignorance? No? Thought so!
        I remember a study a few years back, where it was proven that Red Sox fans were BY FAR more knowlegable about baseball than Yankee fans, but then again, the smarter state populace should be.

9. patsandsox - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I love the sox yankees rivalry. Let me just say there is a lot of baseball to be played yet. Remember all the injuries the Sox had last season. Alot can still happen. Dont count your playoffs too early.

I think the Sox are looking like the team that was predicted but alot can happen between now and October.

I expect the Cashman to spend some money and make some trades. Its too bad about the injuries but any Red Sox fan knows all about those after 2010

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3478)