Jun 10, 2011, 12:38 PM EST
The Nats’ 15th round pick was a shortstop named Zach Houchins, who played for Louisburg Junior College in North Carolina. Mr. Houchins used to have a Twitter account, but he deleted it after people noticed that he had a bunch of inflammatory stuff on there. A lesson Mr. Houchins was apparently not taught: deleting your Twitter account doesn’t really do anything because the Internet remembers everything. Here are the tweets, captured by the Nats blog For Love of the Nationals.
He’s not my son, so I’m not going to lecture him, but the tweets come off as totally jerky at best, racist at worst. According to Adam Kilgore, the Nationals are investigating the situation. My guess is that the investigation will really be the Nats monitoring how much of a sh*t storm this turns into. Which is pretty much how this sort of thing always goes.
Anyway, for those of you who are still unclear on the concept: Twitter is basically an open microphone hooked up to big ass Marshall amps set up on the public square of the biggest city on the planet. What you say there is going to be all over the place if anyone cares to look. Treat it as such.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (135)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)