Nats’ draftee Zach Houchins is in Twitter trouble

Jun 10, 2011, 12:38 PM EDT

Nationals logo

The Nats’ 15th round pick was a shortstop named Zach Houchins, who played for  Louisburg Junior College in North Carolina.  Mr. Houchins used to have a Twitter account, but he deleted it after people noticed that he had a bunch of inflammatory stuff on there.  A lesson Mr. Houchins was apparently not taught: deleting your Twitter account doesn’t really do anything because the Internet remembers everything.  Here are the tweets, captured by the Nats blog For Love of the Nationals.

He’s not my son, so I’m not going to lecture him, but the tweets come off as totally jerky at best, racist at worst.  According to Adam Kilgore, the Nationals are investigating the situation. My guess is that the investigation will really be the Nats monitoring how much of a sh*t storm this turns into. Which is pretty much how this sort of thing always goes.

Anyway, for those of you who are still unclear on the concept: Twitter is basically an open microphone hooked up to big ass Marshall amps set up on the public square of the biggest city on the planet. What you say there is going to be all over the place if anyone cares to look. Treat it as such.

1. natstowngreg - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:45 PM

The Nats probably won’t sign every pick. OK by me if this is one they don’t sign.

2. spudchukar - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:47 PM

A Bigot, a Cheat, and a Rat. Good Start Zach.

• canebaseball - Jun 11, 2011 at 4:53 PM

to spudchukar;
      I am the father of the kid you are talking about. As far as being a bigot we have had a young man living with us for 4 yrs who just happens to be black. Of my sons 4 best friends on his college team 2 of them are black and 1 of them is his roommate. as far as the cheat goes, I guess you are referencing his comment about the test, well it was a midterm he missed because of a game and he didn’t have to make it up because his G.P.A. (grade point average in case you don’t know) is high enough where it would not affect his mid term grade. I have no idea where you came up with rat since you do not know this kid. I have heard the term ” my nigga ” used among these 4 teammates ( 2 white & 2 black) so much around our house when they come eat with us I don’t even pay attention to it anymore. As for you, you sit at a computer and criticize an 18 yr old kid that you don’t know and think you are intelligent ? He made a mistake, he faced it like a man and admitted to it nationally with his name attached to it, unlike you hiding behind your user name. Grow up and get a life and quit spending your time commenting on something you don’t have a clue about about .

3. halladaysbicepts - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Dumb kid. Another soon to be public figure that should not be using social networking.

This kid’s a 15th round pick who will probably not make it past single A ball anyway. My guess is that the only people he has to deal with is his new teammates when he starts playing ball. I don’t think they will be taking to0 kindly to his comments.

• jjschiller - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:50 PM

*roundt

• paperlions - Jun 10, 2011 at 1:29 PM

The bicepts brachialis is extra muscle possessed only by Roy Halladay that gives him super-human pitching ability.

4. kopy - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:52 PM

If I was going to be famous, the first thing I would do is delete my Twitter and Facebook, where I express opinions, and create new, bland, politically correct ones. Anyone who is draft-eligible of any reasonable interest should do it.

5. bloodysock - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:54 PM

It’ll be all good after Bryce Harper blows him a kiss.

6. david7590 - Jun 10, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Well he was right about Ashton Kutcher.

7. Jonny 5 - Jun 10, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Twitter……. I only use it for news tweets and I follow a couple of people. I never tweet. Not that anyone would care to follow my tweets anyway, I don’t think.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 10, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Mrs. 5 to make sure you’re kept in line.

8. mss16 - Jun 10, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Let’s get this guy together with Luke Scott right away so they can be dumb, racist rednecks together.

9. Old Gator - Jun 10, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Well, it’s a refreshing change of pace from Islamophobia, anyway.

10. Chris Fiorentino - Jun 10, 2011 at 2:32 PM

First off, he is a jackass for thinking this way to begin with. Everything else will end up being BS and CYA. Second, why would you write some of this stuff on your Twitter account? I mean, when you get drafted in MLB, you have to know it a long while in advance, right? You aren’t sitting there one day and all of a sudden you get a call that you were drafted, do you? I’m not sure how it works, but I would guess he has known he will be drafted, especially as high as the 15th round, for at least a year. Somebody with more knowledge can confirm that.

So to summarize, he’s a jackass for being a bigoted racist…and a dumb-ass for putting it on Twitter when he knows he will be in the public eye in the near future.

• The Rabbit - Jun 10, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Your description is correct but most kids (and many adults) fail to see the consequences of their actions.
      In addition, people aren’t born as “bigoted jackasses”. They generally learn it somewhere…..many times, at home. If you are raised with it and not very bright, you view it as normal; therefore, it wouldn’t even occur to you that there is something wrong with your comments. I am in no way making excuses for ignorance. Just explaining it.
      You see it all the time in this little town in the Ozarks where there is no diversity and little contact with people of other races/culture. Just one of the reasons I go home to Philly when I get the chance.

• spudchukar - Jun 10, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Wouldn’t be Salem, or Licking or Willow Springs?

• The Rabbit - Jun 10, 2011 at 5:41 PM

LOL! How did you know??? I’m just south of Willow.

11. liquidgrammar - Jun 10, 2011 at 2:47 PM

I thought most of it was funny!! And I’m Black!!! It probably wasn’t smart to put it on Twitter, but young kids of all nationalities talk this way!! If he’s talking to his friends that way, he’s just acting in his element!! Change the underlying behavior, which is the gun toting, gang-related thuggery and most of this goes away!!!!

• micker716 - Jun 11, 2011 at 1:06 AM

I found it despicable and ignorant and I’m White.

12. sportsdrenched - Jun 10, 2011 at 3:31 PM

I get why this is news. But not really. These guys are trained and designed to be ballplayers not Pillars of the Community.

Ball players are a cross section of the society they come from, and thus you will get all types. They are there for entertainment purposes only. While I know kids and some adults will idolize these guys, I don’t think its a good idea.

13. akismet-e6748cca3a16ea6e8283008d25583adc - Jun 10, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Lesson learned today for all prospective agents of baseball players;
    1. Ask if they have twitter, facebook, myspace, linkedin, whatever.
    2. Go read their stuff.
    3. delete as necessary before it becomes an embarassing national story.

Repeat.

14. purnellmeagrejr - Jun 10, 2011 at 6:46 PM

If he can hit the curve ball no one will care.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3772)