Jun 10, 2011, 12:38 PM EDT
The Nats’ 15th round pick was a shortstop named Zach Houchins, who played for Louisburg Junior College in North Carolina. Mr. Houchins used to have a Twitter account, but he deleted it after people noticed that he had a bunch of inflammatory stuff on there. A lesson Mr. Houchins was apparently not taught: deleting your Twitter account doesn’t really do anything because the Internet remembers everything. Here are the tweets, captured by the Nats blog For Love of the Nationals.
He’s not my son, so I’m not going to lecture him, but the tweets come off as totally jerky at best, racist at worst. According to Adam Kilgore, the Nationals are investigating the situation. My guess is that the investigation will really be the Nats monitoring how much of a sh*t storm this turns into. Which is pretty much how this sort of thing always goes.
Anyway, for those of you who are still unclear on the concept: Twitter is basically an open microphone hooked up to big ass Marshall amps set up on the public square of the biggest city on the planet. What you say there is going to be all over the place if anyone cares to look. Treat it as such.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 23
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 4
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 6
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 31
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)