Jun 10, 2011, 7:50 PM EDT
NESN color guy Jerry Remy just pointed out something I’m kind of embarrassed I hadn’t noticed: in Toronto tonight, Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia is giving his signs to pitcher Clay Buchholz as if there were men on base.
It would certainly seem to suggest that the Red Sox suspect some chicanery on the part of the Blue Jays. Maybe they think someone is relaying signs from one of the hotel rooms at the Rogers Centre, though it seems like it’d be awfully difficult for the hitter to pick those back up in time for the pitch.
For what it’s worth, the Blue Jays are just 15-14 at home this year, compared to 17-17 on the road. That’s less of a home-field advantage than most teams enjoy.
Maybe there’s another explanation for what the Red Sox are doing, but it’s certainly unusual.
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 12
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 16
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 12
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 58
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 21
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)