Jun 10, 2011, 7:50 PM EST
NESN color guy Jerry Remy just pointed out something I’m kind of embarrassed I hadn’t noticed: in Toronto tonight, Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia is giving his signs to pitcher Clay Buchholz as if there were men on base.
It would certainly seem to suggest that the Red Sox suspect some chicanery on the part of the Blue Jays. Maybe they think someone is relaying signs from one of the hotel rooms at the Rogers Centre, though it seems like it’d be awfully difficult for the hitter to pick those back up in time for the pitch.
For what it’s worth, the Blue Jays are just 15-14 at home this year, compared to 17-17 on the road. That’s less of a home-field advantage than most teams enjoy.
Maybe there’s another explanation for what the Red Sox are doing, but it’s certainly unusual.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)