The Yankees add Kevin Whelan to the bullpen

Jun 10, 2011, 3:50 PM EDT

Image (1) yankee%20stadium.jpg for post 4012

Yesterday Matthew ran down the immediate possibilities for the now-depleted Yankees bullpen. One of them he mentioned was Kevin Whelan, who has a 30/6 K/BB ratio and a 1.67 ERA in 27 innings as Scranton/Wilkes-Barre’s closer this season.  That possibility is now a reality as the Yankees have called him up.

One would hope, if one cares about how the Yankees fare, that Whelan will provide enough stability to where Brian Cashman could focus on starters, rather than relievers, at the trade deadline. Because really, even if the bullpen is an acute problem at the moment. it’s the rotation that will need more help over the course of the next couple of months and will go farther in deciding if the Yankees can win the east or not.  Get a solid starter and the pressure is off the pen a bit, ya know?

1. patsandsox - Jun 10, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Sounds like a good first move. I doubt that is all it will take to replace Joba and Soriano..

2. ndirishfan1 - Jun 10, 2011 at 4:06 PM

I’m a Yankee fan here and if recent memory is any guide, Whelan will probably be moved to the starting rotation soon, then back to the pen, then back to the rotation and then to Dr. James Andrews with a dead arm or elbow issues…

3. skipp - Jun 10, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I like the move, but this certainly isn’t the magic bullet. Whelan’s 1.67 ERA this year has come courtesy of an unsustainable 95.7% strand rate and .230 BABIP. Who cares though, he knows how to make ‘em swing and miss and his arm is attached to his shoulder.

4. uyf1950 - Jun 10, 2011 at 4:28 PM

It’s a good move and probably the best option at this point. But as was indicated in the blog, it’s only the first step. The starting rotation needs help even when Hughes comes back and they still could use a left handed reliever. To quote a famous Chinese proverb: “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.” And who are we to argue with that.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 10, 2011 at 5:21 PM

We need a reliever that can put a Whalen on other team in the latter innings.

• uyf1950 - Jun 10, 2011 at 5:30 PM

yankeesfanlen – you might find this piece interesting on Whelan. He is the link. http://www.myyesnetwork.com/12460/blog/2011/06/10/kevin_whelan_movin_on_up

• pisano - Jun 10, 2011 at 5:43 PM

uyf1950… I hate to say this, but I feel it’s over for the Yankees this year. The pitching is only part of the problem they have too many outs in that line up. If Jeter hits 250 he’ll be lucky Swisher is a strike out waiting to happen as is Arod, Posada, and Andruw Jones. I hate to say it but Granderson and Gardner strike out too much. They need to make MAJOR changes and I don’t see it happening. They have Vazquez and Maxwell at triple A hitting home runs and they keep Posada and Jones on the roster. They are running out of time and there are too many holes to fill. As you say, just my opinion.

• uyf1950 - Jun 10, 2011 at 5:56 PM

pisano, the only one I disagree with you about is A-Rod. As for challenges facing the Yankees you are absolutely correct. But, keep the faith my friend change is in the air. Posada and Jones will be gone by the All Star break. Swisher’s coming around, slowly but coming around. As soon as Chavez comes back they will have an alternative at DH. I still think the Yankees will be a force to be reckoned with. I agree with you about Vazquez they should call him up. But maybe Cashman has other plans for him. Give it time my friend.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 10, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Before we go overboard, Yankees brethren:

5. pisano - Jun 10, 2011 at 7:16 PM

uyf1950… I really hope I’m wrong, but the time is now. They have to make some changes fast.Chavez coming back will certainly help, but I just read that they moved him to the 60 day DL. They can’t keep using Andruw Jones this guy is totally lost and Swisher is coming around,but will it be too little too late? Again,I will gladly say I was wrong, but they have a lot of holes to fill.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2505)