Jun 10, 2011, 3:50 PM EDT
Yesterday Matthew ran down the immediate possibilities for the now-depleted Yankees bullpen. One of them he mentioned was Kevin Whelan, who has a 30/6 K/BB ratio and a 1.67 ERA in 27 innings as Scranton/Wilkes-Barre’s closer this season. That possibility is now a reality as the Yankees have called him up.
One would hope, if one cares about how the Yankees fare, that Whelan will provide enough stability to where Brian Cashman could focus on starters, rather than relievers, at the trade deadline. Because really, even if the bullpen is an acute problem at the moment. it’s the rotation that will need more help over the course of the next couple of months and will go farther in deciding if the Yankees can win the east or not. Get a solid starter and the pressure is off the pen a bit, ya know?
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 59
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)