There’s a (sadly non-binding) fan poll for the Home Run Derby

Jun 10, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT

Josh Hamilton Home Run Derby

I wasn’t aware of this, but apparently there is a fan poll in which people can vote for who they’d like to see in the All-Star Game Home Run Derby.  You can vote here.

Major League Baseball just announced who was leading the voting thus far: In the NL it’s Albert Pujols, Prince Fielder and Ryan Howard.  In the AL it’s Jose Bautista, Josh Hamilton and David Ortiz.  Unlike any other sort of All-Star voting, I can’t find any fault whatsoever in that voting.  Those are probably the six guys who, if I cared all that much about the Home Run Derby, I’d want to see in it.  Adam Dunn, Justin Upton and Mike Stanton can be alternates.

The sad thing, of course, is that this voting is non-binding. Indeed, the voting page itself says “If you could choose, who would you like to participate,” underscoring the fact that we cannot choose.  Not all players want to do this thing. Despite the evidence on it not being terribly conclusive, a lot of them think that swinging in the Derby messes them up in the second half of the season.  It almost certainly tires them out on a day they’d be resting anyway.

Personally, I’d like to see a skills exhibition with players doing Tom Emansky-style drills, but I’d guess that’s a pipe dream.

1. Jeremiah Graves - Jun 10, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I’d like to vote in CC Sabathia…is that doable?!

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 10, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Yeah, I’m stuffing the ballot box for Swisher to start the ASG.

• CJ - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:03 PM

you’re already getting Jeter who doesn’t deserve it. now Swisher too? please tell me that’s sarcasm.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:18 PM

By “start” I meant as pitcher, obviously sarcasm. Just as the voting is farce.

2. Panda Claus - Jun 10, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Craig,
    I hope you’re not busy during the All-Star break. I just voted for you about 20 times to represent the NL. Seriously. This could be some real fun for HBT fans. Let’s hope you have a Braves jersey that fits.

Looking back, I probably should’ve voted for some lesser competition to give you at least a chance in this thing. Other voters may take heed.

• jimbo1949 - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Just make sure the BP jersey is ‘working’, wouldn’t do to have an epic fail on ESPN.

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 10, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Ichiro in the derby! That’s what I want for Christmas.

4. echolmberg - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Would Major League Super Star Fred McGriff officiate it?

5. sunking1 - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Here’s my vote for the Home Run Derby… ELIMINATE IT!

6. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Matt Stairs should be in this. Do you remember that crushing mammoth shot when he was a Phillie?

Either way, long live Matt Stairs.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 10, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Who dares to dislike Matt Stairs?

• royalsfaninfargo - Jun 10, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Stairs needs one more team to break the all time record for franchises played for.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 10, 2011 at 2:56 PM

EXACTLY!

• jwbiii - Jun 10, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Has any other player coached hockey in the off-season?

• cur68 - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Maybe Tom Glavine. He can skate a bit.

7. missthemexpos - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:37 PM

I would like to see a speed competition, starting at home plate, run the bases and return to home plate. This could be run between rounds of the Home Run Derby and have the speedsters of the National and American Leagues square off.

• spindervish - Jun 10, 2011 at 2:36 PM

This is actually a pretty cool idea. I’ve at various times heard Ellsbury, Gardner, Peter Bourjos, and Tony Campana called “the fastest player in baseball.” Guys like Crawford, Bourn, McCutchen and Reyes should probably be in the discussion too. I’d like to see them try to settle it.

• cur68 - Jun 10, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Rajai Davis would pwn them.

8. APBA Guy - Jun 10, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Got to have Nelson Cruz. He and Josh have combined twice the week, and the total distance of both sets of moon shots were over 1800 feet, with Cruz’s carry about 10 feet longer than Josh’s each time.

9. JBerardi - Jun 10, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Mike Stanton. Mike Stanton. Mike. Stanton.

Mike Stanton.