Jun 10, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
I wasn’t aware of this, but apparently there is a fan poll in which people can vote for who they’d like to see in the All-Star Game Home Run Derby. You can vote here.
Major League Baseball just announced who was leading the voting thus far: In the NL it’s Albert Pujols, Prince Fielder and Ryan Howard. In the AL it’s Jose Bautista, Josh Hamilton and David Ortiz. Unlike any other sort of All-Star voting, I can’t find any fault whatsoever in that voting. Those are probably the six guys who, if I cared all that much about the Home Run Derby, I’d want to see in it. Adam Dunn, Justin Upton and Mike Stanton can be alternates.
The sad thing, of course, is that this voting is non-binding. Indeed, the voting page itself says “If you could choose, who would you like to participate,” underscoring the fact that we cannot choose. Not all players want to do this thing. Despite the evidence on it not being terribly conclusive, a lot of them think that swinging in the Derby messes them up in the second half of the season. It almost certainly tires them out on a day they’d be resting anyway.
Personally, I’d like to see a skills exhibition with players doing Tom Emansky-style drills, but I’d guess that’s a pipe dream.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 340
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 79
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 52
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (341)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)