Jun 11, 2011, 2:58 AM EDT
Already down Buster Posey, Pablo Sandoval and Mike Fontenot, the Giants lost another member of their lineup Friday when Freddy Sanchez suffered a dislocated right shoulder making a diving stab against the Reds.
He’ll undergo an MRI on Saturday to check for ligament damage.
Sanchez, who is hitting .289/.332/.397 this season, will probably end up on the DL regardless, but the status of his ligaments will go a long way towards determining just how much time he’ll miss.
If there’s any positive, it’s that he injured the opposite shoulder from the one on which he underwent surgery each of the last two offseasons.
With Sanchez down, the Giants will be especially eager to get Pablo Sandoval and Mike Fontenot back. Unfortunately, Fontenot suffered a setback with his left groin injury during a rehab appearance Friday for Triple-A Fresno. If it’s significant, then he won’t be taking over at second base for Sanchez next week.
The Giants should have Sandoval back at third by Tuesday, potentially freeing up Miguel Tejada if the team wants to give him a crash course at second base. Emmanuel Burriss figures to start there in the meantime.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 5
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 21
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 9
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 47
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)