Jun 11, 2011, 2:58 AM EST
Already down Buster Posey, Pablo Sandoval and Mike Fontenot, the Giants lost another member of their lineup Friday when Freddy Sanchez suffered a dislocated right shoulder making a diving stab against the Reds.
He’ll undergo an MRI on Saturday to check for ligament damage.
Sanchez, who is hitting .289/.332/.397 this season, will probably end up on the DL regardless, but the status of his ligaments will go a long way towards determining just how much time he’ll miss.
If there’s any positive, it’s that he injured the opposite shoulder from the one on which he underwent surgery each of the last two offseasons.
With Sanchez down, the Giants will be especially eager to get Pablo Sandoval and Mike Fontenot back. Unfortunately, Fontenot suffered a setback with his left groin injury during a rehab appearance Friday for Triple-A Fresno. If it’s significant, then he won’t be taking over at second base for Sanchez next week.
The Giants should have Sandoval back at third by Tuesday, potentially freeing up Miguel Tejada if the team wants to give him a crash course at second base. Emmanuel Burriss figures to start there in the meantime.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)