Jun 11, 2011, 2:58 AM EDT
Already down Buster Posey, Pablo Sandoval and Mike Fontenot, the Giants lost another member of their lineup Friday when Freddy Sanchez suffered a dislocated right shoulder making a diving stab against the Reds.
He’ll undergo an MRI on Saturday to check for ligament damage.
Sanchez, who is hitting .289/.332/.397 this season, will probably end up on the DL regardless, but the status of his ligaments will go a long way towards determining just how much time he’ll miss.
If there’s any positive, it’s that he injured the opposite shoulder from the one on which he underwent surgery each of the last two offseasons.
With Sanchez down, the Giants will be especially eager to get Pablo Sandoval and Mike Fontenot back. Unfortunately, Fontenot suffered a setback with his left groin injury during a rehab appearance Friday for Triple-A Fresno. If it’s significant, then he won’t be taking over at second base for Sanchez next week.
The Giants should have Sandoval back at third by Tuesday, potentially freeing up Miguel Tejada if the team wants to give him a crash course at second base. Emmanuel Burriss figures to start there in the meantime.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 20
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 15
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 34
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)