Jun 11, 2011, 2:58 AM EDT
Already down Buster Posey, Pablo Sandoval and Mike Fontenot, the Giants lost another member of their lineup Friday when Freddy Sanchez suffered a dislocated right shoulder making a diving stab against the Reds.
He’ll undergo an MRI on Saturday to check for ligament damage.
Sanchez, who is hitting .289/.332/.397 this season, will probably end up on the DL regardless, but the status of his ligaments will go a long way towards determining just how much time he’ll miss.
If there’s any positive, it’s that he injured the opposite shoulder from the one on which he underwent surgery each of the last two offseasons.
With Sanchez down, the Giants will be especially eager to get Pablo Sandoval and Mike Fontenot back. Unfortunately, Fontenot suffered a setback with his left groin injury during a rehab appearance Friday for Triple-A Fresno. If it’s significant, then he won’t be taking over at second base for Sanchez next week.
The Giants should have Sandoval back at third by Tuesday, potentially freeing up Miguel Tejada if the team wants to give him a crash course at second base. Emmanuel Burriss figures to start there in the meantime.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 36
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 211
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (211)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)