Jun 11, 2011, 2:58 AM EST
Already down Buster Posey, Pablo Sandoval and Mike Fontenot, the Giants lost another member of their lineup Friday when Freddy Sanchez suffered a dislocated right shoulder making a diving stab against the Reds.
He’ll undergo an MRI on Saturday to check for ligament damage.
Sanchez, who is hitting .289/.332/.397 this season, will probably end up on the DL regardless, but the status of his ligaments will go a long way towards determining just how much time he’ll miss.
If there’s any positive, it’s that he injured the opposite shoulder from the one on which he underwent surgery each of the last two offseasons.
With Sanchez down, the Giants will be especially eager to get Pablo Sandoval and Mike Fontenot back. Unfortunately, Fontenot suffered a setback with his left groin injury during a rehab appearance Friday for Triple-A Fresno. If it’s significant, then he won’t be taking over at second base for Sanchez next week.
The Giants should have Sandoval back at third by Tuesday, potentially freeing up Miguel Tejada if the team wants to give him a crash course at second base. Emmanuel Burriss figures to start there in the meantime.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 65
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 59
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 46
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)