Jun 11, 2011, 3:09 PM EST
5:10 p.m. EDT: GM Brian Cashman admitted that it looks like a DL situation for Colon. Newsday’s Ken Davidoff indicated that Chris Dickerson would likely be called up to take Colon’s roster spot on Sunday. The Yankees can decide on his rotation replacement later.
3:30 p.m. EDT: The Yankees confirmed that Colon suffered a strained left hamstring. A DL assignment appears quite likely.
Colon tried to talk Yankees manager Joe Girardi into letting him throw a couple of warmup pitches afterwards, but Girardi wasn’t buying it. And if the events of the following couple of minutes were any indication, Girardi certainly had the right idea. Colon had major difficulty just getting down the dugout steps on his own, and he appeared very hobbled while walking through the dugout on his way to the clubhouse.
Colon allowed just two hits in 6 2/3 innings before exiting with a 2-0 lead against the Tribe. The early guess is that he injured a hamstring on the play.
If Colon lands on the disabled list, the Yankees could try Hector Noesi at the back of the rotation. Noesi pitched six innings out of the pen against the Red Sox on Monday and then got sent down the next day to work as a starter in Triple-A.
David Phelps is another possibility. He’s 4-4 with a 2.95 ERA and a 66/20 K/BB ratio in 76 1/3 innings for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 51
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 36
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)