Jun 11, 2011, 3:09 PM EST
5:10 p.m. EDT: GM Brian Cashman admitted that it looks like a DL situation for Colon. Newsday’s Ken Davidoff indicated that Chris Dickerson would likely be called up to take Colon’s roster spot on Sunday. The Yankees can decide on his rotation replacement later.
3:30 p.m. EDT: The Yankees confirmed that Colon suffered a strained left hamstring. A DL assignment appears quite likely.
Colon tried to talk Yankees manager Joe Girardi into letting him throw a couple of warmup pitches afterwards, but Girardi wasn’t buying it. And if the events of the following couple of minutes were any indication, Girardi certainly had the right idea. Colon had major difficulty just getting down the dugout steps on his own, and he appeared very hobbled while walking through the dugout on his way to the clubhouse.
Colon allowed just two hits in 6 2/3 innings before exiting with a 2-0 lead against the Tribe. The early guess is that he injured a hamstring on the play.
If Colon lands on the disabled list, the Yankees could try Hector Noesi at the back of the rotation. Noesi pitched six innings out of the pen against the Red Sox on Monday and then got sent down the next day to work as a starter in Triple-A.
David Phelps is another possibility. He’s 4-4 with a 2.95 ERA and a 66/20 K/BB ratio in 76 1/3 innings for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 12
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 32
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 103
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 45
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (107)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)