Jun 11, 2011, 3:09 PM EDT
5:10 p.m. EDT: GM Brian Cashman admitted that it looks like a DL situation for Colon. Newsday’s Ken Davidoff indicated that Chris Dickerson would likely be called up to take Colon’s roster spot on Sunday. The Yankees can decide on his rotation replacement later.
3:30 p.m. EDT: The Yankees confirmed that Colon suffered a strained left hamstring. A DL assignment appears quite likely.
Colon tried to talk Yankees manager Joe Girardi into letting him throw a couple of warmup pitches afterwards, but Girardi wasn’t buying it. And if the events of the following couple of minutes were any indication, Girardi certainly had the right idea. Colon had major difficulty just getting down the dugout steps on his own, and he appeared very hobbled while walking through the dugout on his way to the clubhouse.
Colon allowed just two hits in 6 2/3 innings before exiting with a 2-0 lead against the Tribe. The early guess is that he injured a hamstring on the play.
If Colon lands on the disabled list, the Yankees could try Hector Noesi at the back of the rotation. Noesi pitched six innings out of the pen against the Red Sox on Monday and then got sent down the next day to work as a starter in Triple-A.
David Phelps is another possibility. He’s 4-4 with a 2.95 ERA and a 66/20 K/BB ratio in 76 1/3 innings for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 77
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (212)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)