Jun 11, 2011, 3:09 PM EDT
5:10 p.m. EDT: GM Brian Cashman admitted that it looks like a DL situation for Colon. Newsday’s Ken Davidoff indicated that Chris Dickerson would likely be called up to take Colon’s roster spot on Sunday. The Yankees can decide on his rotation replacement later.
3:30 p.m. EDT: The Yankees confirmed that Colon suffered a strained left hamstring. A DL assignment appears quite likely.
Colon tried to talk Yankees manager Joe Girardi into letting him throw a couple of warmup pitches afterwards, but Girardi wasn’t buying it. And if the events of the following couple of minutes were any indication, Girardi certainly had the right idea. Colon had major difficulty just getting down the dugout steps on his own, and he appeared very hobbled while walking through the dugout on his way to the clubhouse.
Colon allowed just two hits in 6 2/3 innings before exiting with a 2-0 lead against the Tribe. The early guess is that he injured a hamstring on the play.
If Colon lands on the disabled list, the Yankees could try Hector Noesi at the back of the rotation. Noesi pitched six innings out of the pen against the Red Sox on Monday and then got sent down the next day to work as a starter in Triple-A.
David Phelps is another possibility. He’s 4-4 with a 2.95 ERA and a 66/20 K/BB ratio in 76 1/3 innings for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)