Jun 11, 2011, 3:09 PM EDT
5:10 p.m. EDT: GM Brian Cashman admitted that it looks like a DL situation for Colon. Newsday’s Ken Davidoff indicated that Chris Dickerson would likely be called up to take Colon’s roster spot on Sunday. The Yankees can decide on his rotation replacement later.
3:30 p.m. EDT: The Yankees confirmed that Colon suffered a strained left hamstring. A DL assignment appears quite likely.
Colon tried to talk Yankees manager Joe Girardi into letting him throw a couple of warmup pitches afterwards, but Girardi wasn’t buying it. And if the events of the following couple of minutes were any indication, Girardi certainly had the right idea. Colon had major difficulty just getting down the dugout steps on his own, and he appeared very hobbled while walking through the dugout on his way to the clubhouse.
Colon allowed just two hits in 6 2/3 innings before exiting with a 2-0 lead against the Tribe. The early guess is that he injured a hamstring on the play.
If Colon lands on the disabled list, the Yankees could try Hector Noesi at the back of the rotation. Noesi pitched six innings out of the pen against the Red Sox on Monday and then got sent down the next day to work as a starter in Triple-A.
David Phelps is another possibility. He’s 4-4 with a 2.95 ERA and a 66/20 K/BB ratio in 76 1/3 innings for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 39
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (95)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)