Jun 11, 2011, 4:17 PM EDT
The deed is done.
The procedure was performed by Dr. Lewis Yocum and was deemed a success, though just about every surgery is deemed successful one day after.
Red Sox manager Terry Francona provided an update to reporters Saturday on what he heard from Yocum and where Dice-K plans to do most of his rehabbing:
“Dr. Yocum said he was real pleased with how it went,” Francona told the press. “(Matsuzaka’s) got another appointment with Dr. Yocum in 10 days and, after that, we’ll see if he can start doing some things to get started on his journey back. (Dice-K) understands, and probably agrees, that he needs to stay in Boston. It’s not like he can just go home. Keeping track of things is so important.”
The recovery time for Tommy John surgery can vary, but most pitchers need at least a full year and some cases require 15 months. There’s a chance that Dice-K, who will be a free agent after 2012, has thrown his last baseball as a member of the Red Sox. That’s quite unfortunate given his $103.1 million original price tag.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)