Jun 11, 2011, 4:17 PM EDT
The deed is done.
The procedure was performed by Dr. Lewis Yocum and was deemed a success, though just about every surgery is deemed successful one day after.
Red Sox manager Terry Francona provided an update to reporters Saturday on what he heard from Yocum and where Dice-K plans to do most of his rehabbing:
“Dr. Yocum said he was real pleased with how it went,” Francona told the press. “(Matsuzaka’s) got another appointment with Dr. Yocum in 10 days and, after that, we’ll see if he can start doing some things to get started on his journey back. (Dice-K) understands, and probably agrees, that he needs to stay in Boston. It’s not like he can just go home. Keeping track of things is so important.”
The recovery time for Tommy John surgery can vary, but most pitchers need at least a full year and some cases require 15 months. There’s a chance that Dice-K, who will be a free agent after 2012, has thrown his last baseball as a member of the Red Sox. That’s quite unfortunate given his $103.1 million original price tag.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?