Jun 11, 2011, 9:23 AM EST
Hall was released by the Astros earlier this week after batting just .224/.272/.340 across his first 158 plate appearances. He drew free agent interest from the Nationals and Orioles, but the Giants pounced quickly after watching second baseman Freddy Sanchez crumble to the ground with a dislocated shoulder on Friday night against the Reds.
The Giants are also missing third baseman Pablo Sandoval, who is still recovering from hamate bone surgery, and utility infielder Mike Fontenot, who is down with a groin strain. Hall will at least give more depth to the San Francisco bench and could even make regular starts at third or second for a couple of weeks.
Hall, 31, slugged 18 home runs in just 382 plate appearances last season for the Red Sox and managed 35 home runs against an .899 OPS back in 2006 for the Brewers. The Giants will hope some of that pop remains. Houston remains on the hook for most of what remains on his one-year, $3 million contract.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)