Jun 11, 2011, 8:10 PM EDT
Actually, this isn’t a one or the other situation. Jim Riggleman’s lineup tonight is both creative and desperate.
According to Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post, Jason Werth was moved to the leadoff spot for tonight’s game against the Padres. Oh, but that’s not all. They also have the pitcher John Lannan batting eighth and Brian Bixler ninth, who is subbing for the injured Roger Bernadina.
While the move says a lot about how much the Nationals have struggled offensively, it actually makes plenty of sense on the surface. Werth enters Saturday’s action with a .345 on-base percentage this season while Nationals’ leadoff hitters have a major-league worst .267 on-base percentage. And though he hasn’t shown it this season, Werth has a .380 on-base percentage against southpaws for his career. The Nationals will face left-hander Clayton Richard tonight.
In reality, Werth will only leadoff once tonight. In the top of the first inning. You certainly don’t want your best hitter batting after the pitcher, so Bixler at least gives him a little protection there. The Nationals have scored three runs or less in four consecutive games, so I applaud Riggleman for trying something different.
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 5
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 29
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 68
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)