Jun 11, 2011, 8:10 PM EDT
Actually, this isn’t a one or the other situation. Jim Riggleman’s lineup tonight is both creative and desperate.
According to Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post, Jason Werth was moved to the leadoff spot for tonight’s game against the Padres. Oh, but that’s not all. They also have the pitcher John Lannan batting eighth and Brian Bixler ninth, who is subbing for the injured Roger Bernadina.
While the move says a lot about how much the Nationals have struggled offensively, it actually makes plenty of sense on the surface. Werth enters Saturday’s action with a .345 on-base percentage this season while Nationals’ leadoff hitters have a major-league worst .267 on-base percentage. And though he hasn’t shown it this season, Werth has a .380 on-base percentage against southpaws for his career. The Nationals will face left-hander Clayton Richard tonight.
In reality, Werth will only leadoff once tonight. In the top of the first inning. You certainly don’t want your best hitter batting after the pitcher, so Bixler at least gives him a little protection there. The Nationals have scored three runs or less in four consecutive games, so I applaud Riggleman for trying something different.
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 21
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 38
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 21
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 32
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)