Jun 11, 2011, 5:45 PM EDT
Nishioka went 4-for-12 with a stolen base in four games this past week at High-A Fort Myers. He’s expected to play three games for Rochester before returning to the Twins’ starting lineup in the middle of next week. Possibly as early as Wednesday.
Twins manager Ron Gardenhire confirmed Saturday to John Shipley of the St. Paul Pioneer Press that Nishioka is going to play shortstop upon returning with Alexi Casilla sliding over to second base. Nishioka played shortstop successfully while in Japan and should have no trouble picking it back up.
The 26-year-old from Osaka has made just 26 major league plate appearances this year as a rookie. He’s been on the disabled list since the second week of the regular season with a fractured left fibula.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 55
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)