Jun 11, 2011, 5:45 PM EDT
Nishioka went 4-for-12 with a stolen base in four games this past week at High-A Fort Myers. He’s expected to play three games for Rochester before returning to the Twins’ starting lineup in the middle of next week. Possibly as early as Wednesday.
Twins manager Ron Gardenhire confirmed Saturday to John Shipley of the St. Paul Pioneer Press that Nishioka is going to play shortstop upon returning with Alexi Casilla sliding over to second base. Nishioka played shortstop successfully while in Japan and should have no trouble picking it back up.
The 26-year-old from Osaka has made just 26 major league plate appearances this year as a rookie. He’s been on the disabled list since the second week of the regular season with a fractured left fibula.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 68
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 46
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)