Jun 11, 2011, 5:45 PM EDT
Nishioka went 4-for-12 with a stolen base in four games this past week at High-A Fort Myers. He’s expected to play three games for Rochester before returning to the Twins’ starting lineup in the middle of next week. Possibly as early as Wednesday.
Twins manager Ron Gardenhire confirmed Saturday to John Shipley of the St. Paul Pioneer Press that Nishioka is going to play shortstop upon returning with Alexi Casilla sliding over to second base. Nishioka played shortstop successfully while in Japan and should have no trouble picking it back up.
The 26-year-old from Osaka has made just 26 major league plate appearances this year as a rookie. He’s been on the disabled list since the second week of the regular season with a fractured left fibula.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)