Jun 12, 2011, 12:15 PM EDT
Colon suffered the injury in the seventh inning of Saturday’s 6-0 defeat of the Indians.
He allowed only two hits over 6 2/3 frames before exiting that start and has been just as reliable for almost the entire 2011 regular season. A shot-in-the-dark free agent signing this winter, the 38-year-old Colon has registered a stellar 3.10 ERA and 1.07 WHIP across 78 1/3 innings as a first-time wearer of the Yankees’ pinstripes. He’s tallied 72 strikeouts and just 18 walks.
The Yanks recalled 24-year-old Hector Noesi from Triple-A in a corresponding move. He posted a 1.76 ERA and 1.04 WHIP in 15 1/3 innings of relief for New York earlier this season and has been operating as a starter in the minor leagues. Perhaps he’ll get the first crack at the Yanks’ now-vacant rotation spot.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17