Jun 12, 2011, 12:15 PM EDT
Colon suffered the injury in the seventh inning of Saturday’s 6-0 defeat of the Indians.
He allowed only two hits over 6 2/3 frames before exiting that start and has been just as reliable for almost the entire 2011 regular season. A shot-in-the-dark free agent signing this winter, the 38-year-old Colon has registered a stellar 3.10 ERA and 1.07 WHIP across 78 1/3 innings as a first-time wearer of the Yankees’ pinstripes. He’s tallied 72 strikeouts and just 18 walks.
The Yanks recalled 24-year-old Hector Noesi from Triple-A in a corresponding move. He posted a 1.76 ERA and 1.04 WHIP in 15 1/3 innings of relief for New York earlier this season and has been operating as a starter in the minor leagues. Perhaps he’ll get the first crack at the Yanks’ now-vacant rotation spot.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)