Jun 12, 2011, 9:22 AM EDT
From Patrick Healy of NBC Los Angeles comes a major update in the still unsolved Opening Day beating of Giants fan Bryan Stow:
A blood-stained jersey dropped off at a cleaning establishment may be linked to the severe beating of Giants fan Bryan Stow, NBC LA has learned.
The jersey triggered suspicion at the cleaners, which notified law enforcement. Los Angeles Police took possession of the jersey and submitted it for DNA analysis. The results came back a match to Stow, NBC LA has learned.
The LAPD arrested a suspect, Giovanni Ramirez, on May 22 and have kept him in custody for the past three weeks on an unrelated parole violation. He has not yet been charged in the beating, but sources informed NBC Los Angeles this weekend that police believe Ramirez was the one who dropped the bloodied Andre Ethier jersey off at the cleaners and that it may have been worn on Opening Day by a woman driver in a getaway car.
Ramirez claims that he was with his daughter in East Hollywood on Opening Day and not in the vicinity of Dodger Stadium. He’s gone before a suspect lineup and taken two polygraphs, the results of which have not yet been released nor discussed publicly by the LAPD. Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck expressed confidence recently that the police have the right man in custody and that the case is moving along.
Stow remains in a coma and is believed to have suffered significant brain damage as a result of the attack.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 6
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 27
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 19
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)