Jun 12, 2011, 9:22 AM EDT
From Patrick Healy of NBC Los Angeles comes a major update in the still unsolved Opening Day beating of Giants fan Bryan Stow:
A blood-stained jersey dropped off at a cleaning establishment may be linked to the severe beating of Giants fan Bryan Stow, NBC LA has learned.
The jersey triggered suspicion at the cleaners, which notified law enforcement. Los Angeles Police took possession of the jersey and submitted it for DNA analysis. The results came back a match to Stow, NBC LA has learned.
The LAPD arrested a suspect, Giovanni Ramirez, on May 22 and have kept him in custody for the past three weeks on an unrelated parole violation. He has not yet been charged in the beating, but sources informed NBC Los Angeles this weekend that police believe Ramirez was the one who dropped the bloodied Andre Ethier jersey off at the cleaners and that it may have been worn on Opening Day by a woman driver in a getaway car.
Ramirez claims that he was with his daughter in East Hollywood on Opening Day and not in the vicinity of Dodger Stadium. He’s gone before a suspect lineup and taken two polygraphs, the results of which have not yet been released nor discussed publicly by the LAPD. Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck expressed confidence recently that the police have the right man in custody and that the case is moving along.
Stow remains in a coma and is believed to have suffered significant brain damage as a result of the attack.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 13
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 24
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)