Jun 12, 2011, 5:13 PM EDT
The left fielder has been out since June 1 with tightness in his left quadriceps muscle. He took batting practice and went through a strenuous workout before Saturday’s game at Miller Park in Milwaukee and told reporters that he had been running for several days at home in St. Louis before joining the team for the weekend.
Holliday, 31, left behind a shiny .342/.433/.542 batting line, six home runs and 33 RBI. He’s been a force at cleanup when healthy, and the Cardinals will hope that he picks it all back up.
Allen Craig was placed on the 15-day disabled list Sunday with a bruised knee and outfielder Andrew Brown was recalled from Triple-A Memphis. Brown will likely head back down Thursday to make room for Holliday.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)