Jun 12, 2011, 5:13 PM EDT
The left fielder has been out since June 1 with tightness in his left quadriceps muscle. He took batting practice and went through a strenuous workout before Saturday’s game at Miller Park in Milwaukee and told reporters that he had been running for several days at home in St. Louis before joining the team for the weekend.
Holliday, 31, left behind a shiny .342/.433/.542 batting line, six home runs and 33 RBI. He’s been a force at cleanup when healthy, and the Cardinals will hope that he picks it all back up.
Allen Craig was placed on the 15-day disabled list Sunday with a bruised knee and outfielder Andrew Brown was recalled from Triple-A Memphis. Brown will likely head back down Thursday to make room for Holliday.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 5
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 92
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (95)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)