Jun 12, 2011, 7:32 PM EDT
With no lineup to speak of, the Padres appear to be in really deep trouble now. On Sunday they indicated that both their winningest starter, Aaron Harang, and the member of their rotation with the lowest ERA, Dustin Moseley, were going on the disabled list.
Harang, who is 7-2 with a 3.71 ERA, is being sidelined by a badly bruised left foot. He pitched through the problem on Thursday, but it’s gotten worse and he’s been in a walking boot the past few days.
Moseley, who has gone 2-6 despite a 3.16 ERA, partially dislocated his left (non-throwing) shoulder during his start Wednesday against the Rockies.
The good news is that neither injury is expected to turn into a long-term issue. Both could be back after missing two starts.
Anthony Bass will be called up to make his major league debut in Harang’s place Monday. Bass, 23, was 6-3 with a 3.53 ERA and a 60/17 K/BB ratio in 11 starts for Double-A San Antonio. He doesn’t have the stuff of the Padres’ top pitching prospects, but the team wasn’t about to reach down for Casey Kelly with the idea of having him make two starts.
Wade LeBlanc, who went 8-12 with a 4.25 ERA for San Diego last year, is expected to fill in for Moseley. He’s currently 5-1 with a 5.24 ERA for Triple-A Tucson. He’s allowed just two runs over 13 innings in his last two starts.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 52
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process (78)