Jun 12, 2011, 7:32 PM EDT
With no lineup to speak of, the Padres appear to be in really deep trouble now. On Sunday they indicated that both their winningest starter, Aaron Harang, and the member of their rotation with the lowest ERA, Dustin Moseley, were going on the disabled list.
Harang, who is 7-2 with a 3.71 ERA, is being sidelined by a badly bruised left foot. He pitched through the problem on Thursday, but it’s gotten worse and he’s been in a walking boot the past few days.
Moseley, who has gone 2-6 despite a 3.16 ERA, partially dislocated his left (non-throwing) shoulder during his start Wednesday against the Rockies.
The good news is that neither injury is expected to turn into a long-term issue. Both could be back after missing two starts.
Anthony Bass will be called up to make his major league debut in Harang’s place Monday. Bass, 23, was 6-3 with a 3.53 ERA and a 60/17 K/BB ratio in 11 starts for Double-A San Antonio. He doesn’t have the stuff of the Padres’ top pitching prospects, but the team wasn’t about to reach down for Casey Kelly with the idea of having him make two starts.
Wade LeBlanc, who went 8-12 with a 4.25 ERA for San Diego last year, is expected to fill in for Moseley. He’s currently 5-1 with a 5.24 ERA for Triple-A Tucson. He’s allowed just two runs over 13 innings in his last two starts.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (96)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)