Jun 12, 2011, 7:32 PM EDT
With no lineup to speak of, the Padres appear to be in really deep trouble now. On Sunday they indicated that both their winningest starter, Aaron Harang, and the member of their rotation with the lowest ERA, Dustin Moseley, were going on the disabled list.
Harang, who is 7-2 with a 3.71 ERA, is being sidelined by a badly bruised left foot. He pitched through the problem on Thursday, but it’s gotten worse and he’s been in a walking boot the past few days.
Moseley, who has gone 2-6 despite a 3.16 ERA, partially dislocated his left (non-throwing) shoulder during his start Wednesday against the Rockies.
The good news is that neither injury is expected to turn into a long-term issue. Both could be back after missing two starts.
Anthony Bass will be called up to make his major league debut in Harang’s place Monday. Bass, 23, was 6-3 with a 3.53 ERA and a 60/17 K/BB ratio in 11 starts for Double-A San Antonio. He doesn’t have the stuff of the Padres’ top pitching prospects, but the team wasn’t about to reach down for Casey Kelly with the idea of having him make two starts.
Wade LeBlanc, who went 8-12 with a 4.25 ERA for San Diego last year, is expected to fill in for Moseley. He’s currently 5-1 with a 5.24 ERA for Triple-A Tucson. He’s allowed just two runs over 13 innings in his last two starts.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)