Jun 12, 2011, 7:32 PM EDT
With no lineup to speak of, the Padres appear to be in really deep trouble now. On Sunday they indicated that both their winningest starter, Aaron Harang, and the member of their rotation with the lowest ERA, Dustin Moseley, were going on the disabled list.
Harang, who is 7-2 with a 3.71 ERA, is being sidelined by a badly bruised left foot. He pitched through the problem on Thursday, but it’s gotten worse and he’s been in a walking boot the past few days.
Moseley, who has gone 2-6 despite a 3.16 ERA, partially dislocated his left (non-throwing) shoulder during his start Wednesday against the Rockies.
The good news is that neither injury is expected to turn into a long-term issue. Both could be back after missing two starts.
Anthony Bass will be called up to make his major league debut in Harang’s place Monday. Bass, 23, was 6-3 with a 3.53 ERA and a 60/17 K/BB ratio in 11 starts for Double-A San Antonio. He doesn’t have the stuff of the Padres’ top pitching prospects, but the team wasn’t about to reach down for Casey Kelly with the idea of having him make two starts.
Wade LeBlanc, who went 8-12 with a 4.25 ERA for San Diego last year, is expected to fill in for Moseley. He’s currently 5-1 with a 5.24 ERA for Triple-A Tucson. He’s allowed just two runs over 13 innings in his last two starts.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)