Jun 12, 2011, 11:21 AM EDT
Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram passes along notice that the Rangers have placed catcher Mike Napoli on the 15-day disabled list with a strained oblique muscle and recalled Taylor Teagarden from Triple-A Round Rock.
Napoli is likely to miss at least three weeks and could be out for as long as a month. The 29-year-old has a healthy .221/.344/.493 batting line through 163 plate appearances this season with 10 home runs and 25 RBI. He’s started 20 games at catcher, 14 games at first base and five games at DH.
Yorvit Torrealba is starting behind the plate in Sunday’s series finale against the Twins and is likely to serve as the Rangers’ primary catcher for the rest of June. Teagarden will operate as Torrealba’s backup, making infrequent starts.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)