Jun 12, 2011, 11:21 AM EDT
Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram passes along notice that the Rangers have placed catcher Mike Napoli on the 15-day disabled list with a strained oblique muscle and recalled Taylor Teagarden from Triple-A Round Rock.
Napoli is likely to miss at least three weeks and could be out for as long as a month. The 29-year-old has a healthy .221/.344/.493 batting line through 163 plate appearances this season with 10 home runs and 25 RBI. He’s started 20 games at catcher, 14 games at first base and five games at DH.
Yorvit Torrealba is starting behind the plate in Sunday’s series finale against the Twins and is likely to serve as the Rangers’ primary catcher for the rest of June. Teagarden will operate as Torrealba’s backup, making infrequent starts.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)