Jun 12, 2011, 11:21 AM EDT
Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram passes along notice that the Rangers have placed catcher Mike Napoli on the 15-day disabled list with a strained oblique muscle and recalled Taylor Teagarden from Triple-A Round Rock.
Napoli is likely to miss at least three weeks and could be out for as long as a month. The 29-year-old has a healthy .221/.344/.493 batting line through 163 plate appearances this season with 10 home runs and 25 RBI. He’s started 20 games at catcher, 14 games at first base and five games at DH.
Yorvit Torrealba is starting behind the plate in Sunday’s series finale against the Twins and is likely to serve as the Rangers’ primary catcher for the rest of June. Teagarden will operate as Torrealba’s backup, making infrequent starts.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (76)