Jun 12, 2011, 4:18 PM EDT
A day after scoring 16 times, the Red Sox settled for 14 runs in this one while beating the Blue Jays for their third straight series sweep. With nine straight victories, they’ve put together the longest winning streak for a major league team this season, overtaking the Indians’ streak from back in April.
What’s really incredible is just how many runs this team is scoring.
On May 25-26, the Red Sox became the first team since the 2008 Rangers to score 14 runs in back-to-back games. Now, less than three weeks later, they’ve done it again. Before they did it in May, they hadn’t had back-to-back games like that since July 1998.
Today’s victory came with homers from Adrian Gonzalez, Dustin Pedroia, David Ortiz and Kevin Youkilis. Gonzalez has driven in runs in every game during the winning streak and is now up to 60 RBI in 65 games for the season.
But as good as the offense has been, the biggest bright spot today was Jon Lester‘s performance. He entered with a 6.17 ERA in his previous six starts, but he won four of them anyway because the offense has been so strong. In this one, he completely shut down the Jays, limiting them to one run and two hits over eight innings. The lone run came on a Jose Bautista homer that Jacoby Ellsbury just missed catching as it bounced off the top of the center-field fence at Rogers Centre.
In torching the Blue Jays, the Red Sox probably punched Kyle Drabek‘s ticket back to the minors. Drabek gave up three of the four homers and and a total of eight runs in four-plus innings. He’s struggled mightily in three straight starts, and his ERA is up to 5.70 ERA for the season.
The Blue Jays are expecting Jesse Litsch (shoulder) back by the end of the month, but they probably can’t wait for him to replace Drabek. They may bring up Brad Mills from Triple-A Las Vegas to serve as their fifth starter until Litsch returns.
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 19
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 20
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 35
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 19
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (79)