Jun 12, 2011, 2:52 PM EDT
Some things are finally starting to go right for the Twins. They’ve won eight of their last 10 games and even managed a decisive 8-1 victory over the AL West-leading Rangers on Saturday at Target Field.
They’re also starting to get healthier.
From John Shipley of the St. Paul Pioneer Press comes word that catcher Joe Mauer has not been scheduled to play in any rehab games at Triple-A Rochester and could jump from Single-A Fort Myers to the Twin Cities on Thursday of this week.
Mauer will catch a full nine innings today and Monday for the Fort Myers Miracle before batting against rehabbing closer Joe Nathan in a simulated game on Wednesday. If that all goes well and Mauer feels strong enough, he could be activated in time for the Twins’ Thursday afternoon game against the White Sox.
Mauer was 8-for-34 with no homers and four RBI before landing on the disabled list in the middle of April with bilateral leg weakness. He’s not going to save Minnesota’s season all on his own, but he’ll certainly improve the club’s chances of pulling off a major comeback. Manager Ron Gardenhire said Sunday that he hasn’t decided whether Drew Butera or Rene Rivera will be sent back to the minors to clear a 25-man roster spot.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 47
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 58
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)