Jun 12, 2011, 2:52 PM EDT
Some things are finally starting to go right for the Twins. They’ve won eight of their last 10 games and even managed a decisive 8-1 victory over the AL West-leading Rangers on Saturday at Target Field.
They’re also starting to get healthier.
From John Shipley of the St. Paul Pioneer Press comes word that catcher Joe Mauer has not been scheduled to play in any rehab games at Triple-A Rochester and could jump from Single-A Fort Myers to the Twin Cities on Thursday of this week.
Mauer will catch a full nine innings today and Monday for the Fort Myers Miracle before batting against rehabbing closer Joe Nathan in a simulated game on Wednesday. If that all goes well and Mauer feels strong enough, he could be activated in time for the Twins’ Thursday afternoon game against the White Sox.
Mauer was 8-for-34 with no homers and four RBI before landing on the disabled list in the middle of April with bilateral leg weakness. He’s not going to save Minnesota’s season all on his own, but he’ll certainly improve the club’s chances of pulling off a major comeback. Manager Ron Gardenhire said Sunday that he hasn’t decided whether Drew Butera or Rene Rivera will be sent back to the minors to clear a 25-man roster spot.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)