Jun 12, 2011, 4:33 PM EST
There were no fireworks today.
After Friday’s benches-clearing incident and Saturday’s ejection of Mitch Talbot following an Alex Rodriguez plunking, the Indians and Yankees played a calm one Sunday that again sent the Yankee faithful home happy.
The Bombers broke open a 1-0 game in the fifth, scoring five times on their way to a 9-1 victory. Freddy Garcia, who lasted just 1 2/3 innings in the second shortest start of his career Tuesday against the Red Sox, pitched 6 2/3 innings of one-run ball for the victory.
The Yankees amassed nine runs despite failing to homer in the contest. Curtis Granderson, who had homered in three straight games, went 4-for-4 with a double and a sac fly. Brett Gardner went 3-for-4 with a triple, two doubles and three runs scored. Alex Rodriguez had three hits and three RBI.
Derek Jeter also had some fun, going 2-for-5 with two RBI. With four games left on the Yankees’ current homestand, he’s at 2,993 career hits.
The Bombers got to Josh Tomlin, who is fading just like his peripherals said he would. After starting the season 6-1 with a 2.41 ERA, he’s given up 22 runs over 24 innings in his last four outings. His ERA stands at 4.14 now and likely will continue to climb.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)