Jun 12, 2011, 4:33 PM EST
There were no fireworks today.
After Friday’s benches-clearing incident and Saturday’s ejection of Mitch Talbot following an Alex Rodriguez plunking, the Indians and Yankees played a calm one Sunday that again sent the Yankee faithful home happy.
The Bombers broke open a 1-0 game in the fifth, scoring five times on their way to a 9-1 victory. Freddy Garcia, who lasted just 1 2/3 innings in the second shortest start of his career Tuesday against the Red Sox, pitched 6 2/3 innings of one-run ball for the victory.
The Yankees amassed nine runs despite failing to homer in the contest. Curtis Granderson, who had homered in three straight games, went 4-for-4 with a double and a sac fly. Brett Gardner went 3-for-4 with a triple, two doubles and three runs scored. Alex Rodriguez had three hits and three RBI.
Derek Jeter also had some fun, going 2-for-5 with two RBI. With four games left on the Yankees’ current homestand, he’s at 2,993 career hits.
The Bombers got to Josh Tomlin, who is fading just like his peripherals said he would. After starting the season 6-1 with a 2.41 ERA, he’s given up 22 runs over 24 innings in his last four outings. His ERA stands at 4.14 now and likely will continue to climb.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 122
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)