Jun 13, 2011, 5:56 PM EST
With his sore shoulder feeling no better after a couple of weeks of rest, Adam LaRoche could opt for shoulder surgery after a meeting with Nationals officials Tuesday, the Washington Post reports.
LaRoche will meet with GM Mike Rizzo, manager Jim Riggleman and head athletic trainer Lee Kuntz before Tuesday’s game, according to Adam Kilgore.
Since his shoulder didn’t respond as hoped when he resumed throwing, the suspicion is that he’ll opt for a procedure to repair his torn labrum, which would likely end his season.
LaRoche hit just .172/.288/.258 with three homers and 15 RBI in 151 at-bats before going on the DL on May 22.
Fortunately for the Nationals, Michael Morse has stepped up in a big way since taking over at first base, collecting eight homers and 25 RBI in his last 21 games. The team could always move him back to left field if LaRoche attempted a comeback, but since LaRoche wouldn’t be 100 percent, it’s probably best for both parties if he just goes ahead and has the surgery.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)