Jun 13, 2011, 5:56 PM EDT
With his sore shoulder feeling no better after a couple of weeks of rest, Adam LaRoche could opt for shoulder surgery after a meeting with Nationals officials Tuesday, the Washington Post reports.
LaRoche will meet with GM Mike Rizzo, manager Jim Riggleman and head athletic trainer Lee Kuntz before Tuesday’s game, according to Adam Kilgore.
Since his shoulder didn’t respond as hoped when he resumed throwing, the suspicion is that he’ll opt for a procedure to repair his torn labrum, which would likely end his season.
LaRoche hit just .172/.288/.258 with three homers and 15 RBI in 151 at-bats before going on the DL on May 22.
Fortunately for the Nationals, Michael Morse has stepped up in a big way since taking over at first base, collecting eight homers and 25 RBI in his last 21 games. The team could always move him back to left field if LaRoche attempted a comeback, but since LaRoche wouldn’t be 100 percent, it’s probably best for both parties if he just goes ahead and has the surgery.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 43
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead