Jun 13, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez returning from the disabled list today was initially expected to bump rookie Jordan Lyles from the Astros’ rotation and back to the minors, but now Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle reports that the 20-year-old right-hander will stick around.
Lyles is no longer being viewed as a fill-in starter, as the Astros will instead move Rule 5 pick Aneury Rodriguez to the bullpen and option Jeff Fulchino to Triple-A to make room for Rodriguez’s return.
Lyles followed up an impressive debut with a rough second start, but the 2008 first-round pick bounced back to throw 6.1 innings of two-run ball against the Braves on Saturday. His next start will be Thursday against the Pirates.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (159)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)