Jun 13, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez returning from the disabled list today was initially expected to bump rookie Jordan Lyles from the Astros’ rotation and back to the minors, but now Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle reports that the 20-year-old right-hander will stick around.
Lyles is no longer being viewed as a fill-in starter, as the Astros will instead move Rule 5 pick Aneury Rodriguez to the bullpen and option Jeff Fulchino to Triple-A to make room for Rodriguez’s return.
Lyles followed up an impressive debut with a rough second start, but the 2008 first-round pick bounced back to throw 6.1 innings of two-run ball against the Braves on Saturday. His next start will be Thursday against the Pirates.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 1
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 2
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games